Pa towing laws

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
So I'm lookin to buy a gooseneck trailer and I'm wanting a heavy duty trailer so I can tow whatever I need to and not worry. Well now my question is this....... In pa I heard something about weight ratings of the truck versus the trailer and I'm super confused on this cause I don't want to get pulled over. So what is the law of pa for a trailer anymore? Like length and weight with and without a truck?

Thanks!!!!!

Sent from my Pear phone using Tapatalk

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
If your trailer is over 10K GVW, you need combined plates for your truck and trailer to be legal. So for example if your truck has a 8000 GVW rating and the trailer is 14000, you would need class 8 plates (21,001 - 26,000lbs) which is $405 a year. I also think that trailers over 10K have to be inspected twice a year. Some people have the GVW rating of their trailer set to 9990 to get away with it. I would consider all of this and research a bit before buying anything. I have a 14K bumper pull and have it registered at 9990. Otherwise here is the chart to use if the trailer is over 10K GVW...

Attachments

• weight.jpg
    weight.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 123

02BigD

Reaction score
Maximum weight of the truck + maximum weight of the trailer = what you should register for. Not to exceed the GCVW of the vehicle.

EG: It was 9,990lbs for my SRW F350, plus 13,950 max trailer weight = 23,940 max GCVW on the registration.

riemer

Reaction score
I just went through this myself, I talked to the DOT officer at the New Castle baricks. Over 17K (in PA) - 10K (out of state) Combined GVW you need a medical card, DOT numbers (even if you are hauling for your own equipment...providing you aren't making money from it.), 3 tirangles, and a fire extingusiher. The DOT number must be displayed on both sides of the truck however they can be on a magnet.

He went on to explain...if i am hauling my tractor to my grandmothers to cut her grass, no need for DOT number (which are currently free) if i go buy hay for my farm i then am required to have DOT numbers. It doesnt make sense but thats what i was told.

Further research on the DOT site shows that you can get anyones personal information (name, phone number & address) for anyone with a DOT number.

Heres a link to the DOT site.......good luck figuring it out, this is a money making deal for the state.
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
Huh well that's just odd as hell to make a non commercial truck run a dot number. I talked to a salesman for trailers and he said the normal license your good up to 26,001lbs. Anything less than that you'll be perfectly fine and legal. Idk what's right anymore since iv heard so many things lately and it's ever changing which doesn't make it any easier at all

average

Reaction score
I just went through this myself, I talked to the DOT officer at the New Castle baricks. Over 17K (in PA) - 10K (out of state) Combined GVW you need a medical card, DOT numbers (even if you are hauling for your own equipment...providing you aren't making money from it.), 3 tirangles, and a fire extingusiher. The DOT number must be displayed on both sides of the truck however they can be on a magnet.

He went on to explain...if i am hauling my tractor to my grandmothers to cut her grass, no need for DOT number (which are currently free) if i go buy hay for my farm i then am required to have DOT numbers. It doesnt make sense but thats what i was told.

Further research on the DOT site shows that you can get anyones personal information (name, phone number & address) for anyone with a DOT number.

Heres a link to the DOT site.......good luck figuring it out, this is a money making deal for the state.
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/

DOT applies to COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLES only. If you are hauling your own stuff in which you do not receive compensation (or winnings...) then you just need to make sure you have the proper license, A, B or C. Farming makes money, a commercial enterprise. PA does exempt a bunch of stuff for farmers mostly related to registration and such though.

Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle:

Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or
Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under 49 CFR, subtitle B, chapter I, subchapter C.

Last edited:

riemer

Reaction score
I called the FMSCA and the lady looked it up and said even private farmers are required to follow the regulations. She never mentioned expemtions. She did mention a ribbon in a tractor show is considered compensation even hauling equipment to a friends house that compensation is assumed.

I did the pre-registration forms, it shows private and comerical on the questionaire, it then directs you to fill out the MCS-150 forum.

I'd like to find the exemption information. This is the number for the enforcement office 202-366-5370.

Keep in mind if you ask 10 different DOT cops you will get 11 different answers to the same question. Now that most of my local PD's have DOT cert officers its only gonna cost us money.

Diesel_Brad

Reaction score
I got stopped up in Wyoming county in Jan by a DOT cop. I had my pickup w a 14k trailer and a F350 utility truck on the trailer. About 19-20k gross

Cop came up and wanted to see ONLY 2 things. My registration and my license.
Truck is registered for 20k and I have a class A. He was a little befuddled why I had a 20k registration on a pickup. I asked him " doesnt the truck reg have to cover the truck, trailer and load"? He said yes, but no one ever does that.

With the big natural gas boom up there, he is popping guys left and right for not having enough registered weight and NOT having a class A when towing a trailer 10k and up.

He never said a work to me about a DOT #. ANd never asked about my medical card
he said, you are all good, have a nice day. My GF almost **** herself when I hoped back in the truck with a smile.

They way I look at it is, get your A license and register your truck for a lil more than what you will be grossing and you will never have a problem. And if anyone asks, you JUST bought what you are hauling and it is YOURS

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
How hard would it be to get a B license? I mean I'll probably only be hauling my stuff so it's just for precaution.

riemer

Reaction score
B license will not cover you pulling a trailer over 10k. Has to be an A class license

Its not about the class of drivers license, all you need is a standard PA DL and a medical card. The vehicle GVW, trailer GVW and CGVM are the main focus over 17k lbs combined...... require a DOT number unless it is an RV or has living or changing quarters in it. Thats the easy part.

Hard part is making sure you comply with all the FMCA/DOT requirements which......aren't easy to find.

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
This isn't gonna be commercial at all it's just for personal use. Maybe haul scrap from time to time. So would a regular license work for me? I'm looking at a 16k 26' trailer right now. The only thing is my truck is. Rated for 9k gcwr

GreenF350

Reaction score
This isn't gonna be commercial at all it's just for personal use. Maybe haul scrap from time to time. So would a regular license work for me? I'm looking at a 16k 26' trailer right now. The only thing is my truck is. Rated for 9k gcwr

No WAY that your truck is only rated for 9,000 lbs Gross Combined Weight (The rated total weight for your truck, cargo, fuel, trailer, etc). Your truck probably has a 9,000 lb GVWR or Gross Vehicle Weight Rating which is only the total weight the TRUCK is rated for. That number doesn't take into account for trailers.

Other than that....can't help. I am trying to find out the legalities of towing over 20k GCWR for my 2000 SRW F-350 with a trailer that has living quarters in interstate travel but NOT for any commercial use. That's how I found this thread. :thumbsup:
-Aaron