Tightwad mod, fuel bowl delete and regulated return diy.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
1st, this is a mod that will require cutting and grinding on your existing fuel bowl return. If you are not confident in your fabricating ability you might reconsider.

Total cost > $50 <

Start by removing the turbo to plenum tubing, AKA spider. Make sure you stuff it the openings with some rags, some parts are small.

Then drain your fuel bowl, it's the yellow lever at the 7 O'Clock position of the fuel bowl, push to the left. Then use a 1/2" drive and long extension to remove the 13mm bolts in the back of the FB that secure it to the block. I busted 2 good 3/8" ratchets learning this. :mad:

utf-8BSU1BRzAwMzIuanBn.jpg

Once you've unbolted the FB take the braided (return) lines loose from the regulator and return line (hose) at the back. Then unbolt the reg from the bowl. Remove the top left worm clamp and hose from the fuel pump, the loosened FB should give you plenty of access. Then the lowest clamp and hose. If these 2 hose wont come don't worry they will tear off anyway once you pull th FB.

utf-8BSU1BRzAwMzEuanBn.jpg

With the FB gone you can now see the fuel pump. If you are not familier with it the top left port the low pressure to the filter, the top right is inlet feed from the tanks, the bottom is inlet feed from the filter. the out the back to the back of the heads, through the heads out the front into the braided return lines you previously disconnected, and into the regulated return.

utf-8BSU1BRzAwMzcuanBn.jpg

Now the factory RR, take time again to understand what is going on here. The backside is the inlet feed from the FB, when you removed this you probably noticed a nasty screen, behind that there is a plastic tube restrictor and behind that a plastic ball, these can be tossed in the trash. The fuel goes through there to the left and into the cup looking thing where it mixes with return fuel the out the nipple in back, or you may have a different model that has no cup but a lid with a nipple out the bottom. The left side is the regulated return, the large brass colored bolt is the Fuel Pressure Regulater lid, behind it you will find a spring and aluminum needle that does the regulating.

utf-8BSU1BRzAwMzUuanBn.jpg

With the lid/cup removed you can see the inner chamber, the hole in the center is where reg meets ret, this is where you tap a 3/8 ntp nipple to become the new fuel return. On the cupless model you'll need to pre-drill the hole 1st with a size or 2 smaller bit than the tap.

utf-8BSU1BRzAwNDAuanBn.jpg

To the right of the feed that goes down into the chamber is where you'll start cutting, spend some time making sure you fully understand this step, after the 1st cut you're all in! REMEMBER YOUR SAFTEY GLASSES AND GLOVES!!!!!

utf-8BSU1BRzAwMzkuanBn.jpg

Here's what you're after, this will take many cuts and some staring to get right. You can see that I've already tapped the center and placed the new return nipple as a guide.

utf-8BSU1BRzAwNDMuanBn.jpg

And the finished product. You'll want to disassemble and clean vigorously before re-assembly. This is also a good time for the FPR mod which is just a BB in the needle uder the spring.

utf-8BSU1BRzAwNDUuanBn.jpg

Re-assembly is pretty self explanitory once you've come this far, the braided lines go bac where they were and the new return plugs right into where the old 1 did.

utf-8BSU1BRzAwMjEuanBn.jpg

So far I haven't needed to clamp the device in place, it's so light the return hard line sorta suspends it in the valley.

utf-8BSU1BRzAwMjIuanBn.jpg

Then it's your choice of filtration, I went with a 10 micron transfer tank assembly, it has a see-through sediment bowl and water drain at the bottom, it was about $30 at the tractor supply store, the fittings to go from 1" to 3/8" nipple were another $5-10 and I made the hanger out of a piece of flat stock 1"x 1/8" and used 1 1/4 U bolts to mount.

utf-8BSU1BRzAwMTkuanBn.jpg

All but the fittings and reg spring/needle can be tossed.

IMAG0014.jpg

GOOD LUCK with yours!!!!

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Edit!!!! Please read!

Its been brought to my att that I mispoke in this thread and it could have dire consequences. I wrote to use a 3/8 nipple fitting when it should have read 1/8 barbed. I think its quoted at least twice this way.

BTW its still working flawlessly and I'm up to 23mpg city.

mjonesjr

Reaction score
You should run 2 filters on the setup. 1x 10 micron fuel water separator before it goes into the pump on the low side and 1x 2 micron final filter before it goes back into the pump and on into the heads.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
You can mount anywhere it will reach, it weighs nothing so mine just hovers LOL The benefits are no more fuel bowl. My mpg improvment is as of yet unexplained. Better fuel atomnization maybe due to improved psi?

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
This wouldn't do anything for fuel rate as the pump is what provides the flow rate.

Not exactly, remember its a regulator, what it can't push through the extra screens and channels it simply return to the tank. There is a bunch of extra crap in there that does nothing but impede flow and mix return fuel with clean.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Oh by the way nice write up. I think anyone who can't comprehend it, and do it has no business wrenching.

Very true, as of I few that have had 1 apart and have mapped the channels. It definately something only someone who's sure of what they're cutting should attempt. That said its no harder the a chip install or idm mod.

BTW I found out today there's at least 1 of these on a SD now.

mlr80

Reaction score
what about that sensor in the side of the regulator housing, what do you do with that wire?????

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
None of the bowl wiring is needed w/o the bowl.
BTW it was brought to my att that I'd mistakenly listed a 3/8" ntp nipple fitting, it is instead a 1/8" barbed fitting.

Last edited:

MossBack

Reaction score
None of the bowl wiring is needed w/o the bowl.
BTW it was brought to my att that I'd mistakenly listed a 3/8" ntp nipple fitting, it is instead a 1/8" barbed fitting.

Ipr is very much needed from that connection. No ipr signal no start.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
My IPR isn't wired into my bowl????? Though it is in the same loom as the bowl wiring. Maybe your IPR is regulating fuel instead LOL

Latest posts

Members online