How much difference should there be in EOT vs ECT temps

Reaction score
hey just guys just looking for some feedback how much difference in temp should there be with the 6.4L EOT and ECT before a guy should be concerned? I know the rule of thumb was 15 degrees with the 6.0L, just wondering if it is the same with the 6.4L? Thanks guys

zabeard

Reaction score
Ive read 8 but the computer really doesnt complain about it until 15-20 i believe, maybe more. Ive seen the light once.

zabeard

Reaction score
the light comes on when oil hits 260. so you have a ways to go.

ive seen 250ish when water was 194...

superstroked

Reaction score
Over last weekend towed my boat(only 5k trailer and all) never saw more than 8 degree difference. Highest oil temp I saw was 212...I was reading an outside temp of 102degrees. May have been more on the road..air temp was registered at 98

Reaction score
My oil temp when towing my 7500lb travel trailer never went higher than 203* and the coolant temp never went over 200* and at times they differed 7* with these temps being the highest I seen so I'm good anyways, thanks guys for the feedback if anyone has anymore please let me know

David S.

Reaction score
towed our skidsteer and never saw more than 6 degree difference and never got about 209 crusing at 75 mph on I-95

Bluthndr

Reaction score
Ford motorcraft service instructor said 10* on 6.0l. Not sure on 6.4 but I would think about the same as the design is very similar.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Last I remember mine stays in within 10 unless I am towing the fiver, then it has been as high at 13 I think.
I have been to 230 oil temps. Was on it for a while climbing a good grade though.
If they go up together and back down then i wouldnt worry too much about it.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I would agree with the 10 degree max unloaded. But load it down and keep your foot in it climbing a 7+% grade grossing in the 26000+# range and it will split a little further for a little bit. Also you have to factor in gears and weight of the truck. I am sure mine will be a little higher than a truck spinning 2000 or less on the highway. I have seen the split higher as the rpm increases. If I keep the rpm below 2000 then they are pretty close, but hell I am above 2000 at 55 and I can only stand it for a little bit.
I am camping right now and it blurped a 14 split for a second then came back together. But they both went up and down together coming over. I dont pay as much attention to them anymore as I used too unless the signals go off for max temps which I have at 235 for oil and 225 for coolant. Keep the coolant clean with a filter and you should be fine.

Latest posts

Members online