EGT hit 1500*

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I got my new Looney Wild and loaded it up today. Somehow when I loaded the new tune on my Livewire I lost my alarm setting for EGT. I went out and drove it around. It was fun and fast. Then I got on a lonely secluded strip of road close to home and decided to check my 0-60 on a boosted launch. I spooled up and punched it. Around 50mph I happened to glance at the EGT and saw about 1420*. By the time I let off it had touched 1500*.:doh: I about s*it my pants. It was only there for a split second and I immediately let it cool down. Do you guys think it could've hurt anything? I believe the reason it got so hot is simply that my exhaust is stock besides the muffler and cat delete, just a big enough system to move the heat out quick enough. Anyways, what are your thoughts? I took the Looney Wild off my Livewire for now and I'm just going to run the regular Looney till" I get a 4" system.

Irontx

Reaction score
Your not gonna hurt anything doing that. I ran mine up north of 1850.I use to hit 1600+ daily.

TANK'S 250

Reaction score
Yeah 1500* isn't much...I've pegged my 1600* and kept going......stopped and looked under the hood....all the loom over the turbo melted and dripped down onto the turbo....same turbo is still in the truck 15,000 miles later

worldwide73

Reaction score
I get to 1500* and then I realize that I'm going way to fast anyway...but damn it sounded good at 4200rpm

Mdub707

Reaction score
I've stopped looking at my pyro, buried the 1600 a few times now. I agree with everyone else, stop worrying. Short bursts aren't going to hurt anything.

Now if you're towing a camper up a 3 mile stretch of hill running 1500 the whole way, yeah you're probably going to damage something.

jdc753

Reaction score
This is one I have always been confused about. My truck will only hit 1300° if I TRY! 0-90mph will just barely touch 1300°

Now I haven't ever really bothered to see what is wrong since the truck always runs great. I don't know if its a Pyro issue or if its just lack of fuel on the top end. I run consistant pyro numbers with everyone else when cruising on the highway and idle and all (making me think the pyro is ok) but I know my fuel pressure starts dropping off considerably when WOT, seen it dip below 40psi. All I can think of is the lack of fuel on the top end is what keeps it cool, then again when I got studded the heads were all cracked up like they had been too hot a few times :shrug:

TANK'S 250

Reaction score
This is one I have always been confused about. My truck will only hit 1300° if I TRY! 0-90mph will just barely touch 1300°

Where is your temp sending unit....sounds like it's after the turbo....which is a useless place to put it.

...if it's in the manifold....you are the luckiest man on the planet

Mdub707

Reaction score
Yeah where is the sensor mounted? I have certain tunes that take longer to get hot than others, but the ones that get hot quick run like a sumbeech. EGT does not equate to cylinder temps either...

Jason

Reaction score
Who's tunes are you running JDC?? I've hit 1600 before and kept going racing a 6.0 a few times. With my tunes from Matt, I've drug 10k lbs foot through the floorboard pulling hills and not cracked 1250. My hottest setting dead stop to 100 or so will crack 1250, and sneak up to 1350, and then seems to fall off. I think he had made a comment when we were tuning and datalogging "this tune should peak around x temp, and sure as **** they all did what he said they should.

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
I hit 2,000 degrees all the time at the track :doh:
I can daily drive and hit 1,600+ if I'm in it hard.
I guess I should also include that it's running 225s and a 66

Last edited:

jdc753

Reaction score
Where is your temp sending unit....sounds like it's after the turbo....which is a useless place to put it.

...if it's in the manifold....you are the luckiest man on the planet

It is indeed pre-turbo. In the drivers side manifold just before the bend in the pipe. Would probably be the first time I've had good luck lol

Yeah where is the sensor mounted? I have certain tunes that take longer to get hot than others, but the ones that get hot quick run like a sumbeech. EGT does not equate to cylinder temps either...

Who's tunes are you running JDC?? I've hit 1600 before and kept going racing a 6.0 a few times. With my tunes from Matt, I've drug 10k lbs foot through the floorboard pulling hills and not cracked 1250. My hottest setting dead stop to 100 or so will crack 1250, and sneak up to 1350, and then seems to fall off. I think he had made a comment when we were tuning and datalogging "this tune should peak around x temp, and sure as **** they all did what he said they should.

Yea dumb me forgot the tune, Xtreme Race from Eric. That sounds about right with my temps, pretty easy to get around 1000° but above that it takes some working. Pretty sure the time I hit 1300° (empty, run 0-90+) I really had to hold it in there to get it to hit 1300°

I really don't think my exhaust cuts the temps that much (4" downpipe, 5" from there, no cat, but muffler is installed) Stock injectors and stock turbo. Only thing I can venture to guess is the fuel pressure dropping off pretty hard. Also fuel pressure is much of the reason I don't push the truck much any more until I can correct it.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Alright, I'm definetly glad to hear that 1500* isn't that bad. From all I read before I tuned the truck and even after, the responce I would get was always "Never break 1300*. Thats when stuff starts to melt." Thats why I ask. The truck runs great. Moves like a raped ape. I hate it if my question was somewhat ignorant, but like I said, I always heard that 1300* was bad. I just did some boosted launches and by 60mph I was at 1500* and at 70mph I was pushing 1600*. I love the new tune, but my rear tires aren't as big of a fan as me. And yes it does sound awesome. I do however believe that a 4" exhaust will be a necessity.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Stock exhaust with cat and muffler delete. I think I might also see a slight drop after I delete the EGR cooler and get the scoop outta the up pipe.

Latest posts

Members online