Front End components rusty!

SurfCity

Reaction score
2011 Lariat
Bought this new last summer and parked with the wheels hard over to one side I noticed that many of the front end parts look extremely rusty. Never had this in the snow and it doesn't rain much higher here. Certain parts look fine but others are orange!
If this is normal for the 250 I gotta say it looks like hell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I'd say it's normal from what i've saw. Some parts are not painted and are raw from the factory. So they will get surface rust.

jbkingranch

Reaction score
The ones still at the dealer are like that. Knock that rust off with a wire brush and a pressure washer if you have one. Then shoot it with some self etching primer and semigloss black. I do it to my 2004 ever year or so. Keeps anything from rusting really bad and looks a lot better.

quicksilver11

Reaction score
Name one vehicle on the road today that doesn't have parts underneath it that have surface rust on them.

mortal798

Reaction score
With a user name like 'Surfcity,' doesn't anyone think it could possibly be salt water if it's excessive? Mine are all rusty, but I am in the snow for 3-5 months - depending on how bad the winter is. Last winter I think it only snowed twice, thankfully.

Mdub707

Reaction score
With a user name like 'Surfcity,' doesn't anyone think it could possibly be salt water if it's excessive? Mine are all rusty, but I am in the snow for 3-5 months - depending on how bad the winter is. Last winter I think it only snowed twice, thankfully.

Read my mind...

OP where are you located?

SurfCity

Reaction score
Huntington Beach California.
It is obviously from the factory like that. My 2007 F150 never had this.

SurfCity

Reaction score
Not me....came from the factory like this!
P1020920.jpg

P1020924.jpg

P1020921.jpg

quicksilver11

Reaction score
Big deal. Mine look the same. My dodge looked the same. My Infiniti looked the same. Moms dmax looks the same. My roommates dmax looks the same. My wife's xterra looks the same. Dads corvette looks the same. If there is steel exposed to air that isn't protected it's going to get surface rust. If its THAT big of an issue then wire wheel it and paint it real quick.

SurfCity

Reaction score
It isn't THAT big of an issue for me, but yes, I'm a little disappointed that these parts aren't treated or coated with something. I've never seen a vehicle come from the factory already rusty and I've probably bought 8 or 10 new cars and trucks in my lifetime. This one being the most expensive and nicest I've ever owned. I just wanted to get a sanity check and make sure this one wasn't sitting in water someplace for a week before it got delivered.

SurfCity

Reaction score
Thanks... That's what I needed to know!

quicksilver11

Reaction score
This is my 3rd new vehicle. All of them have looked like that. Just depends on how long it's been exposed to the elements before you bought it.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
They only way it will get fixed is if people complain to the dealers about it. Ford will take notice and prob fix it.

I agree with what a new truck cost that **** should be all coated...

quicksilver11

Reaction score
Ford has far bigger issues to worry about than some surface rust on front end components. They sell how many tens of thousands of trucks a year all over the nation? You think they give a damn about the 1000 people who might actually complain over something as insignificant as this?

Jhaddox

Reaction score
Phuck undercoating...all that stuff does is trap water and make it less noticeable but worse at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snake

Reaction score
Ford has far bigger issues to worry about than some surface rust on front end components. They sell how many tens of thousands of trucks a year all over the nation? You think they give a damn about the 1000 people who might actually complain over something as insignificant as this?

Might be insignificant to you, but I bet there are a lot more people out there (either on this forum or not) who see that and go "WTF?"

I was a little unhappy that when I lifted my 2 year old truck that my driveshaft looked like it came out of the junk yard.

quicksilver11

Reaction score
Might be insignificant to you, but I bet there are a lot more people out there (either on this forum or not) who see that and go "WTF?"

I was a little unhappy that when I lifted my 2 year old truck that my driveshaft looked like it came out of the junk yard.

Go find one truck whose driveshaft doesn't look that way after two years. You pick the brand.