break clean

glamis

Reaction score
im a blender

WMO and RUG == W80

i picked up 140 gallons of ATF today

and it had a smell i couldnt put my finger on

i knew the smell but couldnt recall what it was.

so finally i asked the kid,what does your rebuilder use to clean the tranny parts with,

oh break clean,that guy uses more break clean than anyone i ever seen in my life.

so the light clicks on,this stuff smells like ATF,and break clean

it;s already almost thin enoughf to use as fuel lol...

so my question

what is break clean ??

is it gonna be a problem makeing fuel with this stuff ??

ps,rant..

i hate break clean,and the nazis that push it as a cleaner

anyone with experence knows eather is better and way less toxic

plus use break clean on metal before you weld it,and it makes a gas

so toxic 1 wiff can kill you..hate BC

bigdirty

Reaction score
I drink brake clean love the taste, and it has soo many uses as a cleaner

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
I dont know how it would be full of brakleen, that stuff evaporates very, very fast. Spay it on anything it is dry in no time at all. Where I used to work we used that stuff by the case in no time at all.

mclean

Reaction score
I dont know how it would be full of brakleen, that stuff evaporates very, very fast. Spay it on anything it is dry in no time at all. Where I used to work we used that stuff by the case in no time at all.

you can get it in a liquid form too and not just in the aerosol can...mix it in oil and and it won't evaporate as quick

glamis

Reaction score
i dont think it evaperates quickly.
use eather and see how fast quickly is...

MossBack

Reaction score
My old shop banned ether as most would overspray bad enough to lock up a small Detroit. Only us mechanics and supervisors could get it and it was closely monitored.

IMO solvent is better even wd40 as a cleaner then BK or ether. Between simple green and citrus orange if that didn't do the job not much else would. Scotch brite and wire brushes and little elbow grease goes a long ways.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

WoodBoy

Reaction score
We use 1-2 cases of Ether a week cleaning with it, and we use mineral spirits as much as we can so I cant believe how much we would use with out the mineral spirits

78f100

Reaction score
I buy the wearever gold at aauto parts by the case, It works great as starting fluid way safer for the motor. It wont lock one down like ether will.

glamis

Reaction score
how the hell does anyone lock a motor with eather.
dont spray it around the intake,unless it;s 40 below outside

78f100

Reaction score

You never sprayed a old tractor and had it lug down from the eather? I didnt mean lock up a motor like ruin it. I thank you for your help though, I will have to change the way I crank the tractors now because its never that cold here...lol. I have been cranking tractors and equipment for years with both, sometimes even in the summer when its 100 deg here we still have to use a shot on the old tractors.

Last edited:

glamis

Reaction score
You never sprayed a old tractor and had it lug down from the eather? I didnt mean lock up a motor like ruin it. I thank you for your help though, I will have to change the way I crank the tractors now because its never that cold here...lol. I have been cranking tractors and equipment for years with both, sometimes even in the summer when its 100 deg here we still have to use a shot on the old tractors.

yaya,tired everything
little shot to get er going again,that i can relate to

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Ill use CRC non flamable Brake cleaner before I would use ether to clean any day. I ove that stuff. It cleans everything. And its smell wont knock you over nor will it catch on fire.

MossBack

Reaction score

It was somewhere -20 * f or so but the helper that day never understood less could be more. He had sprayed a can while cranking a 3 cylinder Perkins auxiliary engine. A hour later it finally started.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

glamis

Reaction score
Ill use CRC non flamable Brake cleaner before I would use ether to clean any day. I ove that stuff. It cleans everything. And its smell wont knock you over nor will it catch on fire.

eather cleans way better
and dosent smell like ass,
why you afraid of eather,it cleans good and smells good