Aussie Comp Freestyle Ramp Build

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Well since there isn't a Fabrication section around here I figured I would throw this in here. Its not truck related but I enjoy seeing some of the off topic "projects" in here on an occasion, so I thought some of you might like to see what my brother and I put together over the last few days.
My brother has always been involved in quad freestyle since he learned to ride, if all four tires are touching the ground somethings wrong. He has spent the last few years on a pretty small ramp a friend of his put together as a high school project, learning different tricks. I don't think I have any pictures of that ramp but it sat maybe 6' high and 12'-14' long, nothing special but it gave enough air time to learn some cool stuff. I myself, am to much of a chicken sh!t to become involved with this ramp stuff!
Anyway, in order for him to progress with his hobby he needed a bigger ramp that would give more air time for the bike. So he decided it was time to put together what is call an Aussie Comp ramp, its similar to the ones used for the bikes in the X games. We used 2" x 2" x 1/16", and 2" x 2" x 3/16" tubing, and based all the dimensions off of professional ramps. My brother and I started putting this together yesterday, and got the frame completed today after a whole lot of welding! All that's left is to cover the actual ramp with expanded metal.

Tube steel
DSCN0758.jpg

Lining the rails up to be tied together
DSCN0759.jpg

DSCN0760.jpg

DSCN0761.jpg

Tieing the rails together
DSCN0767.jpg

DSCN0768.jpg

DSCN0769.jpg

DSCN0770.jpg

Completed frame
DSCN0771.jpg

DSCN0772.jpg

Just to give you an idea, my brother standing in the picture is 6' tall. The ramp stands at shy of 10' high, and if I remember it is just over 20' long. The actual radius of the ramp is 24' long.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Nice job! What degree is it at the top?

Might consider hinging the lower portion so it can be folded for transport.:)

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Where ya goin to take it to ride? Love to see some crazy jumps!

Looks great, hope there is video of it getting used.

Thanks everyone, we have a large dirt landing that's also in the process of being built bigger up here in my area.

And there will definitely be video of the ramp in action, I'm just not sure how soon that will be. When I get some I'll make sure to throw it in here.

Nice job! What degree is it at the top?

Might consider hinging the lower portion so it can be folded for transport.:)

Thanks, the very end of the ramp in the second to last picture, the last couple feet with the smaller tube, isn't even attached. The plan is to hinge that two or three feet when the expanded metal goes on. Also off the top of my head I don't remember what the degree is, I'll check later today and post up some more solid measurements.

moose99psd

Reaction score
holy crap dude. yall cut every foot or so to get your radius?! holy crap id have found a fabshop to put it through a tube roller for 50 bucks for that amount of work!! ive built and been involved in building a few dirtbike ramps, including one for a local actual MM member. looks good. how square is that thing? lol

twin_turbo

Reaction score
I built a 6ft and 8ft a couple years ago that my buddies and I would jump with our fourwheelers. they are still setup but I haven't hit them in awhile. ill see if i can find a couple videos

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
holy crap dude. yall cut every foot or so to get your radius?! holy crap id have found a fabshop to put it through a tube roller for 50 bucks for that amount of work!! ive built and been involved in building a few dirtbike ramps, including one for a local actual MM member. looks good. how square is that thing? lol

You know, I though about having someone bend the radius but ended up trying it this way with one tube first. It really wasn't all that bad notching it and welding it back shut. If I were to do it again, I would probably have someone arch the tube for me just to compare to doing it this way. And the ramp is square or damn close, it was blocked and shimmed and checked before and after each corner of the ramp was tied together.

fixed it for ya.

I don't get it? :shrug:

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
After your bones Heal up, you can post the video. Just kidding around.

Oh, LOL

I won't be hitting this ramp because I don't want bones that "need healing"! My brothers the one that will be playing on it, and has yet to break anything....

And Dave, the degree of the radius towards the top is real close to 50*.

Latest posts

Members online