radiator support replacement

Pstroke96

Reaction score
radiator support replacement how to

alot of people asked me about this on the nation, it seemed to be a popular topic so i figured i would post it up over here to

i replaced my rad support in a weekend iirc from the time i popped the hood to the time i closed it was around 13 hours. i later did the fenders seperately and installing them was around a 5 hour job but there is a ton of overlap so it would only add around an hour or two to the job time. i did all of this in my garage at home with basic hand tools and a few power tools
take off the grill 4 screws on top and one under the ford oval.- take out the marker light bezels 2 screws on top and 2 11mm bolts behind the marker light. if you have big arms like me you will want to take the batteries out first
it will look like this

024-Copy2.jpg

then remove the radiator three bolts on each side and the hoses. this isnt necessary but i did it so i didnt damage it. if you dont make sure you support it away from the support

then you remove the header panel 2 bolts on each end and 2 on each side of the radiator opening and one on the valence
itll look like this

003-Copy.jpg

this would be the time to replace the headlights if you like multi tasking your projects, make sure to set the left to right adjustment before reinstalling the bezels

then you want to take out the bumper, 4 bolts on the back and lower valance piece, 2 bolts on each end and the one already removed fron the header panel then remove the bumper NOTE this is with the new support in place

003-Copy11.jpg

then un bolt the ac condenser from the brackets on either side and tie it up, i didnt remove it so i didnt have to recharge the system

then the fun part, remove the brackets that hold the fenders to the support theres 4 bolts on the support and 2 on the fenders take thoes out,
then take off the battery trays, hood latch, latch mount, horn, trans cooler, and anything else remaining attached to the support. mine was so rusted i just pulled it out but if yours isnt take the bolts off the bottom brackets i would recomend to get new mounts and bolts but its not necessary. for the new mounts you have to drill out the rivets, or cut, or chisel then replace with grade 8 hardware. the bolts and mount bushings should be replaced also mine were toasted.
it will look like this

007-Copy2.jpg

while you have the front end apart take the time to closely inspect all of the pulleys and belt driven accessories as well as the water pump. fan clutch etc. it is 1000000X easier to work on the front of the engine with the front end taken apart

you will have a mountain of bolts do not loose track of them or your gonna be running around the garage like crazy at 11 sunday night when you have to be at work at 8 the next morning
something like this

009-Copy2.jpg

Last edited:

Pstroke96

Reaction score
i got a shop discount, i dont remember the price of just the support but it was just under 700 for the support, mounts, bushings, bolts, and hardware

Pstroke96

Reaction score
yeah sure sucks but it cost what it costs to not have it rusted back out in a year. im slowly trying to eliminate the rust as i can afford it

Pstroke96

Reaction score
:whs: they are probably decent quality but its hit or miss wether you get the diesel one or not. the opening is larger and the bottom of it is deeper to hold the larger radiator

Diesel_Brad

Reaction score
NO aftermarket company is currently producing the DIESEL rad support. Alot show a listing for one and they will sell you one but it is a GASSER NOT a DIESEL one.

FORD or used are your 2 options