What do you use for a drop hitch?

El chupacabra

Reaction score
OK so my truck is lifted and one of my friends wants me to pull two jeeps on like a 300 mile trip. I'm thinkin that a 12" drop hitch is gonna put alot of stress on my hitch receiver. Has anybody made anything that would hook down by the ball and angle up to the frame rails to make it stronger. Idk maybe I'm too worried.

-Jake-

farm boy

Reaction score
OK so my truck is lifted and one of my friends wants me to pull two jeeps on like a 300 mile trip. I'm thinkin that a 12" drop hitch is gonna put alot of stress on my hitch receiver. Has anybody made anything that would hook down by the ball and angle up to the frame rails to make it stronger. Idk maybe I'm too worried.

-Jake-

How much is your truck lifted? What size tires are you running?

Layson

Reaction score
I have that same OUO hitch. it is bad ass and very heavy duty. It actually has the trailer plug in the back side. You also can get the mudflaps which are easily removable.

photo-200.jpg

photo-193.jpg

Here is a friend of mines truck. He works it... LOL

photo-300.jpg

Layson

Reaction score
One thing I forgot to mention is OUO has a bad ass step for the hitch when you are not towing! I don't have any real good photos of it.

photo-153.jpg

photo-19.jpg

Here is another guys truck that has it too. You can put a drop hitch in it if it isn't low enough.
photo-86.jpg

02BigD

Reaction score
550 plus shipping per the link.

I've run 7 inch lift and 35's and towed 11,000 lb gen sets not issue. Also towed my 78 bronco all over the place for vacations, always packed to the gills with crap.

All I run is the 12" aluminum adjustabel drop, double ball.

I'm sure all the fancy stuff is "safer" and "better"

On edit; I do have a class V receiver rated 1,500 tongue and 15,000 total weight

Last edited:

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
Friend of mines old truck was 8" on 38's. He had a 10" rapid hitch, towed his 20ft dump trailer fully loaded never had an issue. You sure you "need" a 12" drop?

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
What is the height from the ground to the coupler of trailer you'll be towing? When it's level or a couple inches above? Thats how I always found out what hitch I needed to put in.

El chupacabra

Reaction score
I don't know that yet I haven't seen the trailer. I don't even own a trailer. I want to get a nice like 16 or 18 foot enclosed trailer for work like a little contractors job trailer.

-Jake-

Layson

Reaction score
550 plus shipping per the link.

I've run 7 inch lift and 35's and towed 11,000 lb gen sets not issue. Also towed my 78 bronco all over the place for vacations, always packed to the gills with crap.

All I run is the 12" aluminum adjustabel drop, double ball.

I'm sure all the fancy stuff is "safer" and "better"

On edit; I do have a class V receiver rated 1,500 tongue and 15,000 total weight

If I was him I probably wouldn't go this route for a truck that is at 8" of lift. I would bet the smaller one like the one I have would probably work for his application but it is probably pushing it. These hitches were more set up for trucks that are 16+ ". The one on my truck is actually smaller than the one linked above and it is set up for 10-12" of lift.

For me this hitch was the "right" way to build a lifted truck and still use it to tow.

For 550 bucks that is a good price for what you are getting. Lifted trucks already generate lots of negative attention. The last thing I want is "cheap" looking drop hitch pulling 10,000+ pound load. Plus if anything were to happen trust me the guy in the lifted truck is going to be looked at under a microscope!

Every single thing on there is for a reason. Some actual thought went into this. It works as a step to get into the bed. It has the trailer wiring routed through the hitch down the backside with nice trailer plug in it. Then it has a set of mudflaps that are mounted to it that are easily removeable for guys that wheel their trucks. Then it has a spot for a shackle that directly lines up with the hitch that can be used to pull things out... Then to top it off it is braced back up into the frame of the truck. All of it is pinned so you can take the entire thing out easily. Then it has the lower mounts for the chains and trailer brakes.

How would you build one for a truck that works for 10", 12", 16", 22"+" of lift? You can't just run a drop hitch on a truck that high. Chains won't reach, trailer wiring won't reach, it is an entire different animal. If you have to build a kit to sell to the public wouldn't you make it so it won't fail and it is going to accomidate your customers needs? I sure the hell would.

Is it fancy because it has a laser cut logo in the side? LOL