Custom Center Console

dirtboy25

Reaction score
I've had this idea for a box for a while but just recently put some serious thought into building it so, here's a 3D model I planned out. It's a rough design but this is the basics. If you have any thoughts or suggestions let me hear them.

The front looks a little funky but it's meant to be contoured to the dash so that it will look factory. It's not a perfect match, I just winged it by eye.

Lastly, the top of the storage console will have the factory top to the flip down seat.

CenterConsoleBox2.png

CenterConsoleBox23.png

CenterConsoleBox22.png

CenterConsoleBox21.png

Last edited:

dirtboy25

Reaction score
That's the hard part... I can think it up but my wood working skills are minimal. :D I'm going to give it a shot but if it doesn't turn out the way I expect then I'll probably pay someone to do it for me.

weazel

Reaction score
Looks good can't wait to see it as a reality, and I hear you on wood working, I can work metal all day, but wood gets me every time

dirtboy25

Reaction score
Here is a revised version... I pretty much redid the entire storage compartment to give it a more realistic look.

CenterConsoleBox3.png

CenterConsoleBox31.png

CenterConsoleBox32.png

Last edited:

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
I like it, the revised version looks great. Shouldn't be too bad to make. Just make a cardboard version first. Then remember you can always recut or sand more to make it fit better.

dirtboy25

Reaction score
Thanks,... Just looking at it is getting me all excited. It looks better than I originally visioned. I just don't know where to go from here.

BK39

Reaction score
Here is a revised version... I pretty much redid the entire storage compartment to give it a more realistic look.

CenterConsoleBox3.png

CenterConsoleBox31.png

CenterConsoleBox32.png

The curves make it look good, but harder to build when it comes to the wood work. But still possible, just takes a little longer. Good luck with it, I do like the looks of it.

jdc753

Reaction score
I love it, finally someone thinking outside the box!! Now get to work!!! :poke:

I do like the idea and have been wanting to do something similar as of late just out of boredom and wanting to try a different subwoofer.

One thing I would change personally is on the sides particularly towards the front of the console is I would keep them smooth, or feather them out (following the shape of the transmission tunnel, making it wider where it meets the dash than where it is between the seats. Then on the front face of the storage compartment I would have it come down at more of an angle (similar to an 08 console.) It would be harder to construct but I believe it would greatly change the look from something home built to something more OEM seeming.

Also what are your plans for securing it to the floor? I am assuming you have the 40/20/40 bench by the console lid you are planning to use, the mounting brackets for that seat should work fine for this console to secure it to the floor, only you will have to make some recessed parts on the lower side of the subwoofer box for them so that the console sits low, or just make the box about 1" shorter and let the rear face hang a little low to hide the brackets.

In any case though, BUILD IT!! Gonna keep checking here for progress :D

dirtboy25

Reaction score
OK.... This one I think is final. It's not 100% but to go further I will need a lot more experience with this modeling program. I'll be contacting a friend of mine tomorrow to see if it's something he thinks he can tackle. He's an audio tech and builds a lot of fiberglass boxes so hopefully it'll work out.

The "Super Duty" will be embossed into the leather. (hopefully)

CenterConsole3.png

CenterConsole33.png

CenterConsole32.png

CenterConsole31.png