What is needed for 12v to 5r110?

Mikeh1725

Reaction score
Watching this one. You will also need tubing to build new IC pipe and will need to rewire the 12 valve into the 6.0 harness to run all the factory goodies.

jkidd_39

Reaction score
Not trying to stomp on your dreams but most go 4r100 BC the 5rs don't last long behind a Cummins

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
I don't want to run an auto, period. But my goal now is to get the truck back on the road as quick as I can. I will later switch to a nv4500 or a zf6.

I know about the other stuff needed to do the swap, I researched it a lot as that was always the plan.

Thanks for the heads up craig but I have to buy the engine from my friend first and sell the 6.0 I bought and maybe my short block too before I buy any trans parts. I just need to get a list together and start buying parts already.

Garrett

encrypted with an enigma machine

jkidd_39

Reaction score
There is a 47re sitting on compd for $400. Cheaper than adapter plates and PCS controller if you wanna.get running asap

Countryboy07

Reaction score
As stated, don't go with the 5R... if it is good, sell it and buy an NV4500. Buying the NV and a clutch will be cheaper than trying to get the 5R set up behind the cummins, and you will be happier.

AllanB

Reaction score
As stated, don't go with the 5R... if it is good, sell it and buy an NV4500. Buying the NV and a clutch will be cheaper than trying to get the 5R set up behind the cummins, and you will be happier.

Not to jump on the bandwagon. But I was going to do the exact same thing as your doing. All the research I dug into, everyone said ditch the 5R it is a tuning nightmare behind a Cummins.

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
No, I understand. Thinking about it the parts for the 5r would be like 1700. I could put that and the money from the 5r into another trans. Definitely smarter. I never wanted the 5r to stay, just thought it might be easier right now. Maybe I will get a 47 or 48r and build it myself. Hmm... naw, I don't want an auto.

Garrett

Matt_P

Reaction score
Definitely a good choice to ditch the 5r. I chose not to go with it either due to the tuning nightmare. I decided instead of spending the almost 2 grand on swap parts to make it work I spent some more got my 47re fully built.

If you chose to stick with a ZF youll of course need the adapter plate still and a couple other small modifications to make it work. I would just decide if your going to be sticking with a ford or dodge trans route before you get started. That way you can decide if you need to get a dodge input for your 273 or not. Then you will know if you have to modify the driveshafts, tranny crossmember and all that. Just so it will save you money in the long run so you dont spend any more than you have to switching back and forth.

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
I will probably look for an nv4500. I had already talked to Dan at Midwest about the input for the 273 and I actually would like to go 271. Modding crossmembers is easy. I will just make new ones.

Garrett

Matt_P

Reaction score
I will probably look for an nv4500. I had already talked to Dan at Midwest about the input for the 273 and I actually would like to go 271. Modding crossmembers is easy. I will just make new ones.

Garrett

You wont have to make a new crossmember, if the dodge manual is about the same length as the automatic There is a set of holes for a crossmember right in front of where your crossmember sits now, you can move it up that one set and make a simple mount on the crossmember for the trans. I made one out of a 1 1/4" block of aluminum with the stock ford rubber mount.

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
I really need to get started now. Pull the short block. Pick up 12v from friend. Make or buy motor mounts. Sell 6.0 I bought. Buy trans. Drive truck. Haha.

Garrett

Matt_P

Reaction score
I really need to get started now. Pull the short block. Pick up 12v from friend. Make or buy motor mounts. Sell 6.0 I bought. Buy trans. Drive truck. Haha.

Garrett

Yeah I would try and get started as soon as possible LOL Its been way more work than I thought it would be! But I also didnt plan on doing a complete rebuild of the cummins as well as other additions. I was pretty happy with the way my destroked/autoworld motor mounts worked for me. Im still working on trying to get to the drive truck stage:doh:

jkidd_39

Reaction score

Garrett

You make it sound so easy haha. IM two.years deep on my CR conversion this October and i just disassembled my.block this weekend.

Good luck

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
I parked my truck 4yrs ago and planned on the swap. Then I enjoyed the dodge donor I bought too much. Then got rid of it. Planned on getting the 6.0 going again so I sold all of my cummins parts. Now im back to putting a 12v in it. I could use the crew cab since there are 4 of us and the dog now. Out of town trips don't work so great cramming everything into her altima. I just need to sell what 6.0 stuff I have now and get the 12v from my friend. I could care less if I run 3 switches to get It going and a tach adapter. Need to figure the tyranny out though.

Garrett

Latest posts

Members online