backing up a 4 wheeled trailer

Pstroke96

Reaction score
im going to be pulling a 1919 grader in our old homes day parade saturday and my dads all paranoid because he said i cant back it up. is it really that hard? or just a pain in the behind? it cant be that hard

Atsah

Reaction score
For me it's easier to backup a double axle trailer than a single..

Pstroke96

Reaction score
thats what i figured. ive never done it before so i dont expect it to be gravy but i shouldnt change my route to not back up

Atsah

Reaction score
For some reason I hate backing up a trailer into a right hand location.. That passenger side mirror sucks.. Even if I have to go out of my way I will make it so that I back in to the left..

Pstroke96

Reaction score
yeah its definatley easier to back up to the left i hate backing up to the right unless i really have to but i dont pull trailers often enough to make a conscious effort to do that LOL

ill have to post up pics of the truck and the grader afterwards

Last edited:

Pstroke96

Reaction score
its a bumper pull. its a 1919 pull behind grader, one that the front wheels turn. idk exactly what there called. its not a tandem axle trailer. sorry if i confused you guys

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Gooseneck is a whole lot better to get around in. I back up more things than most people. Sometimes two long.

jngreen

Reaction score
It will pull like a haywagon or grain wagon if it is attached with a tongue to the steer axle, and yes they take some practice to back up. But, you should be fine with what you are doing.

On a good day, I can back a haywagon into any barn and get it exactly where I want it. On other days, I can get so frustrated that I just quit and help guide someone else.

Snake

Reaction score
its a bumper pull. its a 1919 pull behind grader, one that the front wheels turn. idk exactly what there called. its not a tandem axle trailer. sorry if i confused you guys

That's the kind of trailer I thought you were talking about, not a standard tandem axle trailer. I've never had to deal with one of those so I can't offer any insight. Free bump for ya.

Pstroke96

Reaction score
thanks for the insight guys im only concerned because the area that the group meets before the parade is kind of tight. guess ill just show up a little early and make a fool of myself in front of as few people as possible

TurdHerder7.3

Reaction score
Trailer will take its new direction alot faster than a regular trailer. Kinda have to get it turned and moving then start getting it straight right away. That is my experience. Not to bad but i started with them when i was young. Makes one hell of a goofy joint between struck and trailer. Other than what has been said in this thread. You just kinda have to do it. Practice a little at home before you go. YOU CAN DO IT!!

Pstroke96

Reaction score
your screen name makes me LOL LOL every time i see it. i guess it wont be that big of a deal im pretty good with a normal trailer, even a real short one. well see what happens. thanks guys

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
Practice, Practice, Practice....... don't get your tow vehicle turned much from the tongue because you will never be able to swing it back in time.... take your time, and if you get off track, pull plenty forward and get straight again. I assume the grader is on steel, that makes it a little easier because it will slide in the direction you want a little better.

Atsah

Reaction score
It will pull like a haywagon or grain wagon if it is attached with a tongue to the steer axle, and yes they take some practice to back up. But, you should be fine with what you are doing.

On a good day, I can back a haywagon into any barn and get it exactly where I want it. On other days, I can get so frustrated that I just quit and help guide someone else.

Oooohhh backing haywagon's in a barn....:doh: It took me a couple of years to figure out the best way to do that... We have a big Deere with a loader, I built a toothbar for it with a forged sleeve hitch so I'm going forward and not backwards.. Works like a dream..

bakerc167

Reaction score
Oooohhh backing haywagon's in a barn.... It took me a couple of years to figure out the best way to do that... We have a big Deere with a loader, I built a toothbar for it with a forged sleeve hitch so I'm going forward and not backwards.. Works like a dream..
oh yeah pushin is 100 times easier then trin to back them up. 4 wheel wagons will also turn alot tighter then regular trailers

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
I find those style wagons are a lot easier when your using a tractor. I can usually back bale/silage wagons where I want them. With the truck it's a little harder.

abbottfarms

Reaction score
Oooohhh backing haywagon's in a barn....:doh: It took me a couple of years to figure out the best way to do that... We have a big Deere with a loader, I built a toothbar for it with a forged sleeve hitch so I'm going forward and not backwards.. Works like a dream..

cheater......

LOL

Latest posts

Members online