5R110 Heats Up Quick

Stroker67

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

The other day i started noticing that my 5R110 transmission seemed to be heating up quick. It was 92* outside the other day and most of my driving was around town, and on my Autometer tranny gauge is was showing 180* and i was running empty. Ive never seen 180* even with towing. Mods are in my sig. Is it time to change my tranny filter and some fluid? Plan on it anyways. Could this possibly cause it to run warm. It even got upto 130* today on a short trip ( 5 miles round trip) and it was 76* outside. Im at a loss and all help is appreciated!

Tyler

Irontx

Reaction score
Mine runs ~100 deg above outside temp. Been hanging out at 170-180.

Stroker67

Reaction score
Ok thanks guys! Thought i was losing my mind, after spending 3k last year to get my truck up and running, im a bit gun shy lol. Still plan on changing the filters and fluid though, im sure it more than needs it.

Stroker67

Reaction score
Well today had a "hiccup" with the transmission. Acted like it didnt want to shift, i was seeing 25+ lbs of boost. I would let off trying to see if it would shift, not sure if it finally did or not but i made it to my destination. After the truck set about 5 hours got in it to come home and the tranny shifted flawlessly through all 5 gears. No Tow/Haul light came on or anything. Just a hiccup? Going Tuesday to get the fluid and filters changed.

yeehaw

Reaction score
i was hauling 12k lbs, 275 miles on tuesday when the heat index was 100 degrees, hottest my trans showed on the CS was 182

normally around town i see maybe 165 or so when its 80+ out

RescueF250

Reaction score
The pump that was put in started to fail or was put together incorrectly did get any lubrication, when it fail the trans heated up to 200 at that point I didnt drive it. 200 for 15 miles and she SLIPPED instantly.

Stroker67

Reaction score
Well got the Trans fluid changed and the filters changed. Looked at the pan and it was clean, even the magnet was clean. Dropped both Filters and they were dirty, but from what the trans tech said, they still weren't that dirty. All in all got some peace of mind after the change. All is well. Thanks for the help guys.

Keanoknick

Reaction score
Mine has been getting up to 180-190 pretty consistently, it usually seems to run about 90 degrees over ambient temp.

I did try some tunes out, from one company, and I would have all kinds of tranny problems with them, shift flare, missed shifts, failing to shift, etc... the tuner could never get it to shift quite right, although I know several others running the same tunes with no problems. After several failed attempts I went to Innovative's tunes, and it has never happened since. 126k miles, running lifted and tuned since 51k, never a trans problem outside of that.

Latest posts

Members online