Adding some new stuff

Short Bus

Reaction score
i finally got tired of the 12w3 sitting behind the center console on the floor. I never was happy with the sound, but thought i would try and save a few bucks and here i am spending more money. I settled on a 8w7 and having a box made to go inside the center console mocked off of teh JL stealth box but scaled to fit the 8" sub. For now im going to see if my 800w diamond amp is going to be enough for the job. Its rated 800w@ 1 ohm and only 300@ 4 ohm. so with a 3 ohm load it might not quite be enough. I have been eye balling the regulated power JL amps that hold the same power whether the amp sees a 1-4 ohm load. should have it ready to roll sometime next week, really looking forward to seeing how this 8" sub soundsjj!

Last edited:

AKHILF

Reaction score
I had a JL 8w7 in my last truck I built a sealed box to spec and was never really happy with it then it blew up sent in in got a new one and sold it to a friend. He ended up having a guy build him a ported box and it really woke up the sub.

jdc753

Reaction score
Looking forward to some pics of it, specially construction of the center console if you can get any. Should be sweet when its all done. That diamond amp should be feeding the 3ohm sub about 500w which should be fine, specially for most people.

I had a JL 8w7 in my last truck I built a sealed box to spec and was never really happy with it then it blew up sent in in got a new one and sold it to a friend. He ended up having a guy build him a ported box and it really woke up the sub.

Huh thats pretty odd, I wonder if you had a defective sub or something. The 8w7 is considered by most to be the pinnacle of 8" subs and usually most are pretty happy with them.

Short Bus

Reaction score
Looking forward to some pics of it, specially construction of the center console if you can get any. Should be sweet when its all done. That diamond amp should be feeding the 3ohm sub about 500w which should be fine, specially for most people.

Huh thats pretty odd, I wonder if you had a defective sub or something. The 8w7 is considered by most to be the pinnacle of 8" subs and usually most are pretty happy with them.

I will get some pics, but it will be late next week by the time the stereo shop can get me worked in. Yes i said stereo shop, speaker box building is not one of my specialties.

akhilf- Im very surprised to hear that you didnt like it. From all the reviews everyone said that they were the cats meow. One sub wasnt good for some, so they added another and they were happy. I think that in a down firing ported box in the console this thing is going to rock out. I thought about a 10w7, but then i would have definitely needed a new amp and the wife only cleared me to6o spend a grand to get this sounding good.:postwhore2:

AKHILF

Reaction score
As long as its a ported box and enough airspace I think you will be happy. And For what its worth i'v been hearing the sundown 8 is the cats meow. I think I might try two out in the ol f150

Short Bus

Reaction score
Well finally had time to send the truck to the stereo shop. I ended up going ahead and stepping up the amp while I had the back seat out. I decided on a jl hd 750/1, it's more than I need but I wanted plenty of power for the sub. Reading the reviews about it online I think it will complement the sub nicely.

Short Bus

Reaction score
Man this little sub is bitchin, it sounds phenomenal. You can tell that the amp is not enough when crank it up good, but that should be soon fixed. While I'm waiting on the amp I'm going to yank the front seats out along with the carpet and do some sound proofing.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I have a 8w7 in my console (stealth box ) With a JL 500/1 and I think it hits hard and really clean. Way different than a ported box. Ported will hit way harder but it's a much looser bass. That being said I'm happy with the sound.

Last edited:

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
I dunno Mike. Bass with my 2 ID 8's in a ported box sounds pretty tight. My buddy @ Elite Ridez talked me into it and told me he'd swap to a sealed box if I didnt like it. It rocks so its staying.

I lost a channel on my Memphis amp so I went to a 700/5. Still sounds clean but not like before. I was gonna bump to a 900/5...but I'm hearing about failures so I dunno.

Short Bus

Reaction score
Mine ended up being a sealed box, they couldn't fit a ported box in the console due to its increased size or that's the story I got anyway. I am just amazed at the sound of this thing, I had a 12w3 before and there's no comparison at all. I can't wait to see what the new amp is gonna do.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I have a ported box in the g35 with 10w6 and 500/1 ... It hits gangster hard. Not my cup of tea really. It was in 92-93 when the chronic came out.. But not now. My console box has no room for a ported box either, I would try it if I could no doubt. I know for a fact it would hit WAY harder.

01platinum

Reaction score
I will post pics tomorrow as my box is being built. Having 4 B2 Audio 8's put under the back seat and a 1200 Watt B2 audio amp put somewhere. Going to be stupid I am sure. Was only going to put in 2 but my buddy that reps for them gave me 2 extras at no cost. Can't wait to see and hear this.

jwlandry

Reaction score
I dunno Mike. Bass with my 2 ID 8's in a ported box sounds pretty tight. My buddy @ Elite Ridez talked me into it and told me he'd swap to a sealed box if I didnt like it. It rocks so its staying.

I lost a channel on my Memphis amp so I went to a 700/5. Still sounds clean but not like before. I was gonna bump to a 900/5...but I'm hearing about failures so I dunno.

Pics of said subs?

01platinum

Reaction score
Here is the sub and amp. Notice the size of the magnet.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1343009134130.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1343009134130.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 43
  • uploadfromtaptalk1343009147893.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1343009147893.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 47
  • uploadfromtaptalk1343009159255.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1343009159255.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 46
  • uploadfromtaptalk1343009169736.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1343009169736.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 49

Short Bus

Reaction score
Well I finally got the amp installed last night and damn, it sounds even better. I have never heard such a clean sounding sub before, I had a couple guys in the shop listning to the stereo that were looking for the "pair of 10's" lol.

jdc753

Reaction score
Thats awesome!! Glad to hear you are liking it. Always good when the music can truely put a smile to your face with a single note!

Latest posts

Members online