Manual to Auto swap

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Figured its time to start a thread on this since I'm starting to make some forward progress on this project. My ZF6 is being taken out of my truck to get replaced with a BTS 4R100. I will be controlling the trans. with a PCS. I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to swap the input shaft in my current Tcase, or get a manual Tcase for a 4R100 yet.
So far I have the transmission, 6.0 cooler, cooler lines, a shifter, and shift linkage.
I still need to figure out which direction I'm going with my transfer case, get a PCS, and I should be ready to start piecing this together.

I do have a question, I'm planning on using pushlock hose for my trans. cooler lines. Does anyone have a reason I shouldn't use that?

So I figured out what I wanted to do for the shifter, I wanted something that no one has done yet while making it look like it came from Ford installed. So over the last few days here and there I mocked everything up, and figured I would throw up some pictures to start off the thread. I'm using a T handle shifter in an F-650 dash, utilizing the factory shift cable.

DSCN0849.jpg

DSCN0850.jpg

*Note-The shifter is not for an E4OD or 4R100, so I got the shifter with the intentions of having to alter the "detents" for Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, 2, and 1. The shifter is actually for an Allison 1000. However, after mocking up the linkage I found that the shifter locks into each gear where it should be without a problem. The only thing that is off, is that 2nd gear is where the number 3 is on the shifter, skip past what would be 2nd on the shifter, and 1st gear is where 1st is on the shifter.

Wemoy1

Reaction score
thats sweet how are you going to get the truck to start or are you getting the computer wrote for a auto? Push lock lines can leak over time if you use crimp style lines they will never leak unless breakage of course. I work with the push lock fitting at work every day and they are a pain. There is a weather head fitting ou could use with braided line like what is used on peterbilt and Eagle tranny lines. Kimble midwest is the cheapest for all of that. unless you have conections at a local truck dealer

Last edited:

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Override the neutral safety switch, and control the auto trans using a PCS. I will be running the truck with a manual PCM. And I will not be buying braided stainless for my tranny lines. LOL I can't afford that. It's between pushloc, and hydraulic lines right now.

Last edited:

djsdiesel

Reaction score
Have you priced the steel lines from ford? I know the lines for a manual Trans are like $35 each.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
Thoughts: maybe have a billet faceplate made up to stick on over the selector, so the right selections show?

Sent from my LG-C900 using Board Express

Jake

Reaction score
I like it too! You could put your manual buttons on that handle for the PCS too!

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Well its done! The whole swap went rather smooth for the most part, I would compare the swap difficulty to that of a 2x4 to 4x4 swap. I took my time and gathered all the parts and information necessary for the swap over the last few months so down time was minimal. Only way to do a large project like this in my opinion. So instead of having a ZF6 with a double disk under my floor I now have a BTS 4R100 controlled with a PCS. I received and installed my PCS trans. controller this week, and I will say that when I opened the box I was a little overwhelmed! I took my time and read, then read some more and that install when pretty smooth just like the trans install. Big thanks to HotRodTractor, and Charles for the PCS files, along with the time they took to answer some of my ridiculous questions related to the swap and wiring.

So far I'm very happy with it, and have only had to deal with a small leak on one of the cooler lines. Otherwise I will continue to play with the PCS software and draft the settings more to my liking as I learn.

Not much to take pictures of other than the shiny PCS box and the dash. I figured some of you might want to see how the dash turned out so here's a photo.

PCS mounted next to the PCM.
IMG_2110.jpg

New dash.
IMG_6053.jpg

rpenner54

Reaction score
Awesome! Let us know how the PCS works out for you. I swapped mine too. Only I swapped to a CCLB Truck with a 4R100 in it. I love not having to shift all the time, however I miss the ability to hold the gear I want. Plus the slam shifts that happen under load/acceleration at time bother me.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! The PCS is awsome so far, I'm really starting to love it the more I learn about it. It is definitely worth the money for the control you get.

Where did you get that dash piece i want one!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

It is an F-650 auto dash, with a Felsted T-handle shifter.

2000wa250

Reaction score
I may be doing something similar to this in the future. However instead of mounting it on a 650 dash I plan to build a center console similar to the newer trucks. My dream (pipe dream though) is to snag an audi or VW Triptronic shifter and install it into the console, then wire up the PCS's manual control to the triptronic so that I can have the best of both worlds. Auto for every day, and manual when I want to have fun....

Who knows, maybe it'll happen one day.

Anyways excellent job on the swap.

Latest posts

Members online