Engine oil temp?

Stroken7.3

Reaction score
What should the difference be between oil temp and water temp? Oil temp is ~10* to 15* warmer than my water temp which is 180*, I pulled a camp trailer today at no more than 50mph and I was running ~205* oil temp and the water temp was rock steady at 180*. I just don't want any problems towing this summer.

Tom S

Reaction score
I typically see oil temps about 10 deg less then coolant temp. That is measuring using the factory oil temp sender and a digital guage at the thermostat housing. 197 coolant will be about 187 oil.

CurtisF

Reaction score
My oil temps run anywhere from 190-210 during the summer, depending on what I'm doing.

ITUKMOR

Reaction score
If you still have the original oil cooler there could be some blockage causing it to not cool properly. We have routinely seen casting sand and oil gum up the passages like hardblock. Along the same lines, the cooler could be starting to fail a little causing the oil/coolant to gel slowing flow.

389sixpack

Reaction score
Oil temps 10-15* is typical and expected. Oil is only cooled by the water, therefore, except for start up, oil temp will always be hotter than the water.

Latest posts

Members online