Grinding Noise

schroederness

Reaction score
Okay I have had this happen to me twice and I dont know what it is. I was driving along and all of the sudden there was a grinding type noise. Almost sounded like I was running down a rumble strip. Slowed down got out and looked nothing there. Got back in drove a little to see if it stopped: no noise under 10 mph then starts right back in. Sat on the side of the road for about 5 min started to limp it along and decided to try to speed up again. No more problem. I never turned the truck off so its not something that would be affected by that. Any suggestions appreciated.

David N

Reaction score
I feel like my truck did the exact same thing. I never could find the exact problem, but Im pretty sure I traced mine to the needle bearing inside the main hub that the smaller driveshafts spin on. Next time it does it, click it 4x4 and see if it goes away. If it does, then its the same thing my truck was doing. Assuming you have 4x4.

Only thing I could determine it to be, was that the shaft that spins in the needle bearing was worn so much, that it was falling at just enough of an angle that it was trying to engage the automatic hub. It does it when you hit a bump right? Get under your truck and try to wiggle the universal joint assembly and see if it is loose where it goes into the hub.

schroederness

Reaction score
And yes it is loose right there. I guess what all do I need to replace when I go in there. Is there a write up anywhere on all the seals etc I would need?

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
from what it sounds to me, it is the bearing inside the hub assembly which is a sealed bearing. what you will need to do is take off your tire, take off your rotor/caliper, take apart your locking hub assembly (not as hard as it looks), take out the snap ring on the shaft, turn the wheel either way to reach behind it and you will see 4 bolts holding the whole thing on. you need to take those bolts off and you can usually wiggle off the hub assembly. then just reverse the steps and you will be good to go. i had to do mine about a month ago, and coming from someone who has never done one before, it wasnt as bad as it seems.

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
FWIW, this is what mine looked like when i took it off. it was causing my truck to pull to the left hard (drivers side hub) and was grinding like it was its job.

649_10150569736470526_901805525_18314854_5402124_o.jpg

schroederness

Reaction score
Alright. I guess my question was if I replace the whole hub does it replace it. But then again why spend the money on the hub if it is just the needle bearing. What all gaskets should I replace while I'm in there? Axle dust seals, all the hub seals but im not sure how many they are. Also I am planning on putting warn lockers in so are the vacuum seals even needed?

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
Alright. I guess my question was if I replace the whole hub does it replace it. But then again why spend the money on the hub if it is just the needle bearing. What all gaskets should I replace while I'm in there? Axle dust seals, all the hub seals but im not sure how many they are. Also I am planning on putting warn lockers in so are the vacuum seals even needed?

yes that is the only way to replace it. it is a sealed 1 piece unit. and the axle dust seals wouldnt be a horrible idea. i have warn lock outs on my truck and i couldnt answer about the vacuum seals, i havent been able to use my dash switch to lock in my hubs in years LOL. i have to get out and lock them in with the lockouts then flip the switch, back up, and so forth.

David N

Reaction score
I found this http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/nblube.php which basically means they are grease able but i guess its to late to do that.

Did you have to replace the outer shaft?

I was gonna add that too. Depending on how long it you rode it with the needle bearing messed up... yes you may have to replace the shaft too.

And fwiw, I never had any luck replacing just the needle bearing. I did it on one side the first time, and it went out in 1,000 miles. I then replaced the whole bearing assembly and the half shaft. If you do have to replace the halfshaft, you DONT have to the buy the whole assembly from Ford like they will tell you. You can buy just the outer piece that rides in the bearing.

schroederness

Reaction score
ok so i took the hubs off and they looked good but the axle seemed to have alot of play in it.

looks like the seal in the steering knuckle is bad as well as the one on the end of the axle... is there a bearing in the end of the axle tube or are the seals/gaskets the only thing that hold the axle up?

Latest posts

Members online