manifold gasket

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Just crawled around under the truck. Noticed soot on the head. Under close inspection there looks to be a small tear in the exhaust manifold gasket.

Less than 1000km on the whole engine. How much of a pain is it to do in the truck ? Any ideas on what would cause this ? I have headers if it makes a difference

Tom S

Reaction score
I did my manifolds on my OBS without a problem by just taking the wheel off. I could get to nearly every bolt with the impact which was nice. Which style of gasket was on there?

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Ya I was looking at just pulling the inner fender

They are the gaskets DI supplied with the headers, look exactly the same as the set in my rebuild kit.
Any idea what would cause it to pop like that ?

Marty

Reaction score
Pull and replace. Since u just did it.... they should come off easy. Thank god. A bad day in the shop is when uuuuuuu have to cut every manifold bolt and then pull the engine because a bolt breaks off in the head.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Jesus marty. That would suck

Anyone know if there is a better "beeefier" set of gaskets to buy ?

Anything you can prep to get a better seal ? I'm looking to do this one last time lol.

Tom S

Reaction score
I was kinda thinking the felpro ones were the fiber ones. There are also metal ones available from Ford or IH if that interests you. I can find a part number and I think a photo.

Tom S

Reaction score
Turbocharger_conversion_012.jpg

Turbocharger_conversion_013.jpg

I installed my manifolds using Gaskets from Ford exhaust manifold gaskets F4TZ-9448-A or International 1814219C1 and new Ford exhaust manifold to Head Bolts F4TZ-9S425-A or International 1820513C1

bigjake0524

Reaction score
Give me a call sometime, I have a gasket that will seal and are good to 3000 degrees.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Give me a call sometime, I have a gasket that will seal and are good to 3000 degrees.

Holy !! sounds like that will fit the bill ! Now would you have to do both sides with that so they are equal ? As bad as it sounds to leave it, the hassle if its not leaking

My next question would be the bank with the failed gasket shows 25-75* higher temp om my pyro then the passenger side. Would this be because of the torn gasket or should I look further at an injector not seated properly that caused this ?

It does puff raw fuel when cold. And for summer weather I think a little excessive. But that could also be from rings not being seated as the motor has maybe 1000km on it

Last edited:

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Update.

Well had to change out a bent pushrod, so the IC pipes and intake were already out.

With that out of the way all I did was unbolt the power steering/alternator bracket to get at the bolts, had the header off in 15 min. No where near as bad as I expected. Hope it goes back together this well

Marty

Reaction score
I use stainless steel bolts and lock washers. Fastenal has them in stock usually.

I use the felpros and have seen 2k+ degrees. I have used the international ones as well. Have not used them on high egts though.

Tom S

Reaction score
Motorcraft TA-30 or F7AZ-191554-EA is the sealant for the Plenums if you want to be exact.

Ford and international have a gray sealant they use. Available in 5 oz. tube or 1/2 caulking tube
Engine sealant Ford TA31-F5TZ-19G204-AB
Intake Plenum sealant TA30-F7AZ-191554-AB

Engine Sealant Goop
Motorcraft TA-31 F5TZ-19G204-AB

Intake Plenum Goop:
Motorcraft TA-30 F7AZ-191554-EA

Both come in 1/2 sized caulking gun tubes and fit standard caulking guns. 1/2 of a tube is more than enough to do two intake plenums. Make sure surfaces are throughly degreased before applying. Both sealants are great stuff.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.