Gear vendors or gear swap???

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
Just bought an 05 F550 to tow the Fifth wheel(ya ya ya I bought a six leaker and I am old and wanna go camping with the wife and grand kids)that's for the poking that will come shortly:swordfight:

Truck has 4.88's and cruises 70mph @ roughly 2650 RPM, for a 7.3 that is too high but not sure on the 6.0.
What have you guys seen that works best gear wise?
Gear vendors says not to tow in double over drive so not sure that will be a wise option vs swapping to 410's or 4.30's.

Truck and trailer only weighs 22000lbs, my 2000 F250 pulled it fine with 3.73's and a stock turbo but it weighed 2500lbs less than the 550.

What is an average acceptable towing mileage for a big fifth wheel?

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I don't THINK your mileage will change much while loaded with the OD or not, but the 6.0 would probably appreciate the RPM's a lot more.

davey99ps

Reaction score
If your towing heavy my buddies 6.0 always liked a few rpm's. As far as the gv overdrive, I've heard they don't handle diesels very well.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
1) Swap gears - you'll hate that overdrive unit the first time it fails on you with a load behind you.

2) You bought a 6.0 - my condolences good sir.

JDub

Reaction score
1) Swap gears - you'll hate that overdrive unit the first time it fails on you with a load behind you.

Agreed. That O/D unit won't hold up very long, when it slips and strands you you'll be pissed. If the truck is a 2wd, it'll be cheaper to regear it anyways...

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Cheaper and more reliable to throw 4.10's at her. That gear will move the weight just fine to. I would guess your fuel mileage will be around 12MPG also, depending on driving habits and weather.

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score

Why you gotta hate on a misunderstood platform?

I have been a closet 6.0 lover for a while now after fixing a few and seeing just how good they ran:toast:

Thanks for the advice guys.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Why you gotta hate on a misunderstood platform?

Not hating - just expressing my opinion boss man. I know that IF I ever bought a truck with that particular engine platform it would be with the requirement that an engine swap would be impending. Awesome trucks in my opinion - but they got the short straw under the hood and for the price of fixing it and crossing my fingers I could be well on my way to an engine where I wouldn't have to worry. I know that many have had good luck with them on here - but just as many and probably more have not been so fortunate.

Many people don't realize that the 6.0 IS the reason I own a Duramax. I didn't have any confidence in them in 2006 after so many people, family, friends, even the farm had issues with them - my opinion hasn't really faltered from that even though I do realize that today there are ways of making them hold up significantly better than back then. Being left along side the highway in 2004 in the farm's 6.0 dually with a cattle trailer on the back and a $40K cow in the heat didn't sit very well with me.

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
I must have a rare gv. I tow the crap out of mine in double OD. For the last 80,000 miles. No problems. (29,200 last i weighted )Also the only way I think they will leave your stranded is if your tear the oneway clutch out of it. Most people have problems with friction clutch which then they just dont engage but you still have direct. But i will also admit they are not for everyone. Sometimes towing i just want to drive and not worry about shifting. Unloaded i just leave it in.

EnterKO

Reaction score
Not hating - just expressing my opinion boss man. I know that IF I ever bought a truck with that particular engine platform it would be with the requirement that an engine swap would be impending. Awesome trucks in my opinion - but they got the short straw under the hood and for the price of fixing it and crossing my fingers I could be well on my way to an engine where I wouldn't have to worry. I know that many have had good luck with them on here - but just as many and probably more have not been so fortunate.

Many people don't realize that the 6.0 IS the reason I own a Duramax. I didn't have any confidence in them in 2006 after so many people, family, friends, even the farm had issues with them - my opinion hasn't really faltered from that even though I do realize that today there are ways of making them hold up significantly better than back then. Being left along side the highway in 2004 in the farm's 6.0 dually with a cattle trailer on the back and a $40K cow in the heat didn't sit very well with me.

You were hating though.....

A member of this forum (of which you moderate) was asking a legit question about something unrelated to the longevity of his 6.0, and you just had to comment about your opinion of the 6.0's in a smart ass way.

A good saying comes to mind...let sleeping dogs lie.

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
You were hating though.....

A member of this forum (of which you moderate) was asking a legit question about something unrelated to the longevity of his 6.0, and you just had to comment about your opinion of the 6.0's in a smart ass way.

A good saying comes to mind...let sleeping dogs lie.

Its ok. It was partially a stab at me by him. lol

but ya he's a hater. LOL

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
2012-08-09_16-42-51_38.jpg

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score

Funny thing is I have had just about every make and year towed in on a hook.
Find the weak links and fix them, they all have them.

Latest posts

Members online