trans?

05chevy

Reaction score
Hey guys a buddy of mine just put a iron pack and a Percision converter in his truck. It only has about 150mile on it. He say just cruising it feels fine. But when he gets into it he says he feels converter slip. And when he get over 45 and the converter locks he really notices slip. Also his spartan reads 200-250 on the slip meter when converter is locked.Does it sound like he got a bad converter or maybe something was installed wrong? How do u guys feel on Percision Converters in the 6.4s?

pog

Reaction score
havent heard anything bad about them. who installed it? something is def wrong if hes getting 200-250 slip on locked. i know my converter will sometimes unlock when its between the unlock/lock stage and it will make the slip #s high.. but i also got a stock converter. make sure he is reading the slip number from full throttle @ speeds above 70-75mph. you want to make sure the tc is fully locked.

05chevy

Reaction score
Well do u think its converter or something else? Or installed wrong?

superstroked

Reaction score
Well do u think its converter or something else? Or installed wrong?

Installed wrong it probably wouldn't go back in, right? Also there is a "break in" period of about 500 miles or so you should follow to let the clutches get there pattern, ect...

Have you checked the fluid? Did you do a trans relearn?

Also, which tunes are being used? 250? 275?

05chevy

Reaction score
275 tune and as far as I know they did a relearn on the trans. I will have to find out

05chevy

Reaction score
Ok he never did a relearn just cleared the codes from turning the key on when he loaded on the trailer with the trans out. Does it have to go to the dealer to get a relearn or can the spartan do it?

superstroked

Reaction score
Ok he never did a relearn just cleared the codes from turning the key on when he loaded on the trailer with the trans out. Does it have to go to the dealer to get a relearn or can the spartan do it?

He can do it himself.

see the link below

Do this relearn then....if it is 4wd i recommend locking in 4wd

1. From a stop, accelerate the vehicle to 60 mph at approximately 1/2 throttle. DO THIS three times.

2. From a stop, accelerate the vehicle to 60 mph at wide open throttle. DO THIS three times.

http://www.spartandieseltech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1622&highlight=transmission+relearn

Last edited:

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
I may be wrong but I dont think the relearn is going to fix the problem..it may help, but its definetly not going to reduce tc slip by that much.

Stout

Reaction score
250 miles in...just did a relearn and it helped some but not a whole lot. sometimes it holds great others it just wont hold. i can roll down the road at 65 and start giving her some fuel and i can just let the slip meter climb. but yet the first 100% pedal take off in the relearn i forgot 4wd and it chirped 2nd. it seems to do good in the lower speeds but up top it just wont hold.

it kinda seems like it was before i did the whole trans, which makes me wonder if its a tuning problem or something. might try my buddys sct with erics tunes and see how it acts after a little driving...

i'll keep you all posted. thank you for the help

jdgleason

Reaction score
Ill be real surprised if tuning changes anything. Id maked sure you let the tranny builder know you are trying to work through some issues.

Stout

Reaction score
Ill be real surprised if tuning changes anything. Id maked sure you let the tranny builder know you are trying to work through some issues.

im gonna have to agree with you. nothing i can seem to do is helping. guess i'll have to get a replacement convertor sent and get them switched out

05chevy

Reaction score
I just talked to Percision and the guy said it sounds to him it is a direct drive seal it leaking of ripped.

Members online

No members online now.