Oil filter bypass valve

superduty4x4

Reaction score
What's the harm in running without one installed? I was changing my oil last night and noticed that it wasn't in there. I need the truck so I went ahead and put it back together and filled it up with oil but if need be I'll crawl my gimp ass back under there with a new filter and get the valve installed.
On that note, my truck is a 97 but has a reman motor, I thought the issues with the bypass valve falling out were all on earlier build trucks? Why would a previous owner have removed the thing?
This is what I have:
wns-99-2003-powerstroke-read-post-bypass-valve-out.jpg

Tom S

Reaction score
If you can find the parts in the drain pan you can restake that part in there. The other option is to get the updated one that uses a snap ring to secure the assembly.

DSC02977.jpg

Tom S

Reaction score
Here is the part number F81Z-6881-BA

It would be a great time to freshen up the oil cooler O-rings as well.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
That photo isn't my truck, it's one I found online but it looks like my truck.
Problem is I just bought this truck a few months ago, and I already know the motor is a reman from IH. Now I find this which means it's been running with very little to no oil filtration for who knows how long. The parts were not there when I removed the filter. I'm very seriously considering swapping the motor from my wrecked truck that only has a few more miles on it since there are so many unknowns with this one.

Tom S

Reaction score
I think it is to avoid overpressuring the filter on a cold start but kinda guessing. I would not freak out and pull the motor over it for sure.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
I think it is to avoid overpressuring the filter on a cold start but kinda guessing. I would not freak out and pull the motor over it for sure.

close..
it's to prevent blowing the filter apart hydraulically if it clogs, gets damaged, etc..

superduty4x4

Reaction score
close..
it's to prevent blowing the filter apart hydraulically if it clogs, gets damaged, etc..
The info I found elsewhere led me to believe that I've essentially been running unfiltered oil for who knows how long now. If I'm understanding your post correctly that's not the case?

Tom S

Reaction score
I think you have been running partially filtered oil, but I have not had that piece in my hand to study how it works.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.