Dyno'd the truck h&S and KEM DPF on

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Ok results are in.... These are corrected for 88* I believe it is SAE corrections

All runs but stock were done in 6th. Stock was done in 5th

Stock 338.8/695

H&S MILD dynorun No. 5 327.4/660.8
H&S WILD dynorun No. 6 367.2/794.7
H&S HOT dynorun No. 7 395.2/804.1

KEM Lvl 4 dynorun No. 8 356.3/870
KEM Lvl 5... This tune was corrupt, which seems to be nothing new at all it decided to stop mid tune and brick everything on the dyno. This is my 2nd SD card from KEM and lvl 4 loaded fine right away lvl 3 took and update to fix and lvl 5 still didn't work. LUCKLY the mini maxx has fix for the frozen truck and I loaded the h&s firmwear and it turned the truck back to stock. I think I got lucky. With the results of the lvl 4 and TrickTruck's results I highly doubt lvl 5 would make anywhere near 500 hp.

I am overall disappointed with both sets of tunes, but mostly the KEM tunes. They didn't hardly work at all and when they did they drove like crap. They either shifted to hard or lugged the truck terribly. The KEM lvl 4 tune actually made 32 psi of boost and the H&S made more power on 29psi. The boost was all over the place trying to drive down the road with the KEM tunes and the fuel milage according to the economy gauge was 20.8 but hand calculated was only 15.3 (lvl 4)

So basically I paid $300 for more tunes that are hardly drivable, get worse milage and make less power.... awesome.

Here are some dyno charts
H&S Hot (run 7) Vs KEM lvl 4 (run 8)
2012-08-20_12-06-25_27.jpg

H&S runs discard run no 4 it was a stock run in 4th gear
2012-08-20_12-04-47_883.jpg

mortal798

Reaction score
Looks like the H&S power curve is a lot more smooth too. This is something I wish I knew a lot more about.

Charles

Reaction score
Sell it and buy a 7.3 with stage ones...

Actually, buy three of them.

Sorry, I'm just not loving this new awesome motor so much.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Sell it and buy a 7.3 with stage ones...

Actually, buy three of them.

Sorry, I'm just not loving this new awesome motor so much.

Honestly a 6.4 has been coming more to mind. I just dont think I want to give up my new interior. I do really like the truck and it pulls 15k like nothing

Charles

Reaction score
Honestly a 6.4 has been coming more to mind. I just dont think I want to give up my new interior. I do really like the truck and it pulls 15k like nothing

The 6.4 does make copius power with minimal effort.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Looks like the H&S power curve is a lot more smooth too. This is something I wish I knew a lot more about.

It is, after we ran the lvl 4 kem the guy operating the dyno said "well that one sucked, that was a low HP tune right?"

Then after the lvl 5 froze everything up I was done with the KEM tunes

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Funny how we had better luck on multiple vehicles

I believe Tricktruck on here as very similar results to mine ..
I'm sorry and I'm not trying to bad mouth KEM but I can't even tell you how disappointed I am with pretty much every aspect of the tunes

Charles

Reaction score
It is, after we ran the lvl 4 kem the guy operating the dyno said "well that one sucked, that was a low HP tune right?"

Then after the lvl 5 froze everything up I was done with the KEM tunes

I don't know jack sh*t about the 6.7 electronics, but is it possible that the program didn't match the PCM format? Acting that stupid and locking up almost sounds like a code mismatch where the PCM is pulling from portions of memory out of sink with where the person programming the tune expected.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Did you do a regen before you hit the dyno? Its really weird how the TQ was higher on our files...

It went though one a while ago. The torque on both mine and trick truck's files was quite a bit higher with the KEM files but seemed to fall off really quick

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I don't know jack sh*t about the 6.7 electronics, but is it possible that the program didn't match the PCM format? Acting that stupid and locking up almost sounds like a code mismatch where the PCM is pulling from portions of memory out of sink with where the person programming the tune expected.

Thats a question for the KEM guys I have no idea on that one

patrickke

Reaction score
Your supposed to do a standing regen before you run it on the dyno... Also did you adjust your wastegate like I suggested?

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Your supposed to do a standing regen before you run it on the dyno... Also did you adjust your wastegate like I suggested?

Yes the waste gate was adjusted. Helped with the boost oscillation on the pedal but as soon as I hit a small hill with cruise control on it would be all over the place.

I have not been told of this standing regen you speak of and do you think it would make that large of a HP difference?

Charles

Reaction score

If he just drove to the rollers and made pulls why would he need to do any special instructions with your programs specifically? He should just pull right off the street and hit the rollers right?

Any wastegate changes should just push the curve up or down, or change driveability for both sets of programs and be irrelevant.

Is it possible that the PCM is reading the memory differently than expected on the trucks that apparently drove like sh*t and made dick for power?

Dumb shifting strategy, boost all over, weird shaped power curves and locking up the PCM acts like a file with code in addresses that the PCM isn't expecting.

I don't know sh*t.... but if you've had great luck with trucks and then there are one or two acting like dogsh*t out of the blue, I'd be looking for something like that.

Just sayin.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Yeah especially if your truck regen'd on the dyno

It did not go into regen on the dyno. Last one was with the KEM tunes (lvl 4 motor lvl 3 trans) and was about 100 miles ago. It acted and sounded very weird to me when it lugged going through the regen as well. Sounded like the waste gate was fluxing, but this was before I adjusted it, so I figure adjusting it would help with all the funny sounds

patrickke

Reaction score
If he just drove to the rollers and made pulls why would he need to do any special instructions with your programs specifically? He should just pull right off the street and hit the rollers right?

The problem is with a truck having the filter on, regens will cause lower than normal numbers

Any wastegate changes should just push the curve up or down, or change driveability for both sets of programs and be irrelevant.

The 6.7's have issues with overspooling the turbo unless adjusted (even stock)

Is it possible that the PCM is reading the memory differently than expected on the trucks that apparently drove like sh*t and made dick for power?

Im not sure what was going on with his truck as this is the first I have heard about it (he may have been in contact with Mike)

Dumb shifting strategy, boost all over, weird shaped power curves and locking up the PCM acts like a file with code in addresses that the PCM isn't expecting.

Again this is the first I have heard about it

I don't know sh*t.... but if you've had great luck with trucks and then there are one or two acting like dogsh*t out of the blue, I'd be looking for something like that.

Some trucks act goofy when hundreds act perfectly normal

Just sayin.

I know what your saying Charles, but If he took some time and talked with Mike and our Charles I'm sure this could have been addressed

Charles

Reaction score
I know what your saying Charles, but If he took some time and talked with Mike and our Charles I'm sure this could have been addressed

Cool. Like I said, I don't know sh*t, but the only time I've had really dumb sh*t like this in the past when a program is perfectly good otherwise was when the memory addresses were out of step in the program vs where the PCM was looking for the info.

Sounds like it could be plenty of other things, communication being the main missing ingredient thus far.

Probably something dumb.

What kind of power should the truck pull as equipped?

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Ive talked to mike about trouble with the files loading and about adjusting the waste gate. Along with he told me about how the trans needs to do the re-learn to shift properly and why you can run lvl 4 egn with lvl 3 trans and such. I will be contacting him about the low numbers as well

I don't know how I could have done anything so differently to see such drastic changes in results.