It has begun!! 4bt cummins and 95 jeep wrangler

Motostroker

Reaction score
Well finally got it going today. Drop the 89 4bt off at the shop to get a valve job and ran through before I dropped it in. Now I have to make a decision on trans? Manual for sure, but say I twin turbo the 4bt in the future. The only trans I know will hold reliably is a nv4500, but I keep reading they are too long. Although I've seen it done before. But just getting yalls 2cents. The 95 wrangler I bought has no motor and no trans. Sitting on 35s with a 6 inch lift. With 4.11 gears in stock axles. It previously had 2.5 4cyl with a ax -5 trans. What trans would y'all go with?

WHY NOT

Reaction score
sounds like a cool project. I would upgrade the axles if you plan on doing any type of off roading.

Motostroker

Reaction score
I am, found a Dana 44 and a ford 9 that's going underneath it. And a hx 50 I'm going to twin with

Strokersace

Reaction score
Have my own plans for a project like this in the future. Long travel suspension, built 4bt, twins, etc, etc.

NEVRNF

Reaction score
I have a buddy that did this a couple of years ago. 4BT with the stock manual and T case. D60's and a T&T customs 4 link. He is running my old 41 IROC's under it. Trail only rig as it is a bit tall for our laws here in the communist state of IL.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
nv 4500 will fit. a friend of mine did it on a wrangler. short azz rear shaft though!!lol

Ggg

Reaction score
The nv4500 will work if you stretch the rear WB a little, and you run a stock height skid not a tummy tuck. The ZF is too long of a package. I'm the guy running a 4bt, AX15/231, 41's on tons in a TJ. So far the trans is holding up very well with some pretty hard abuse (broke a D60 Detroit locker). If you stretch the front WB enough to clear the diff you will not need any body lift either. The TJ flexes very well IIRC my last RTI score was 1100 which is all the way to the very top of the RTI ramp for those who don't know.

Last edited:

Motostroker

Reaction score
Nice I believe I'll run the ax 15 since I already have a 23 spline 231. I'm trying I find a 78-79 f150 or a bronco with a 44 and a 9 underneath it. 4 link that and throw some 37's underneath it and roll out. Seeing that you broke a d60 locker that convinces me the ax15 will be strong enough. That's what I have been questioning the whole time. Thanks for the info!

Ggg

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong there are stronger trannies out there. But if you don't do hole-shots with a built 4bt, and the AX15 is in good condition it should be fine for a mild engine off road or a daily driver.

Latest posts

Members online