Strap/chain procedure

Spindrift

Reaction score
I have very little experience hauling cars and/or trucks. I need to put my Excursion on my flat deck, dual axle, tagalong. Any advice as far as chaining and whatnot?

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
I remember seeing a picture on pirate a few years ago about 8 total straps being used. 2 per axle(front and rear) then the other 4 for the frame. 2 front 2 rear. Though all the trucks and vehicles I have hauled I have just used 4 straps or chains, one on each corner on the axles/suspension.

I'm sure more experienced will chime in.

Garrett

encrypted with an enigma machine

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Your going to get a lot of different answers here as everyone has their own personal prefrence. I prefer to chain to the axles with ratchet binders or with 10k ratchet straps. When I haul my buddies jeep (6 feet of suspension articulation) I also throw 2 straps on the frame to keep body roll down but on a pickup I don't think its needed. Best advice I can give you, is use common sense. Nobody ever got hurt from straping something too well. 2 straps front and rear and you will be just fine man.

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
Anyone remember where we had a discussion on this a few weeks ago?

TrailerHauler is gonna be your resident expert here. Dude know his sh!t

amarillo250

Reaction score
cross the strapps and make sure to keep the body movement as little as you can. Best way to go is if you have tow hooks on the truck or the go around the axle.

B.Warning

Reaction score
It doesn't take a expert to answer the question. IMO alot of people go way over board. Use a good 3/8 chain with rachet binders throw them over the axles but watch out for track bar, sway bar, brake lines. I normally anchor about 3ft in front and behind the axles. Bind them down and be done with it.

I've hauled stuff all over the country like that, been rear ended with a trailer in tow, been hit in the side and pushed off into a ditch and never lost a truck. Didn't even move on the trailer. It its only a 8k lb truck, I haul my 55k lb excavator, and dozer all the time with 3 chains. Its about chain placement more than anything.

If you want to throw 4 chains and binders to secure a ex go for it, but I damn sure don't when I know for a fact 2 works. Now if your using straps, I'd use 4 and cross them front to back.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
4 chains, 4 binders , don't use ratchet straps, too much stretch, you can either pull each axle to the middle if the trailer is short, or pull both axles out of you have the room. Id rather pull out if I can.

autocorrected by taptalk

littleredstroker

Reaction score
When I do it I also set parking break, tighten the two on either front or back first. Then the other two. Then the other two. I use a 4 foot cheeter pipe cause I like em tight

autocorrected by taptalk

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Well I kinda walked into that one. Idk I'm just not sold on straps. We hauled a skid steer once , all we had were straps 15 k pound rating, every time I accelerated the tq would cause one strap to stretch and the other to go slack . I just like chains a lot better

autocorrected by taptalk

extreme3807

Reaction score
My job is loading/unloading/transporting cargo all over the world. Here is a picture of a 150,000LB tank I loaded and chained down for flight into Afghanistan. With that being said I use straps instead of chains sometimes for various cargo in-flight (HMV's, generators, trucks) and I have never had an issue. Whenever I trailer my truck to events I always use 2 ratchet straps on the front tow hooks, and 2 around the back axle's. Remember to always cross the straps as this will provide you with all of the lateral restraint you need. In my world all cargo has to be restrained for 3 G's in flight. that means that 150K tank I loaded had to have 450,000 LB's of restraint (150K x 3 G'S=450K), yeah thats a lot of chains lol.

(I'm the one taking the picture...Bringing pain to the enemy)

376762_632232234587_385112436_n.png

09stroker

Reaction score
We've hauled some farm equipment with straps and you MUST recheck them after a couple miles. Things move into place and what not and then you can turn them another few clicks.
No big deal unless you really don't want to waste one or two minutes.

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
It doesn't take a expert to answer the question. IMO alot of people go way over board. Use a good 3/8 chain with rachet binders throw them over the axles but watch out for track bar, sway bar, brake lines. I normally anchor about 3ft in front and behind the axles. Bind them down and be done with it.

I've hauled stuff all over the country like that, been rear ended with a trailer in tow, been hit in the side and pushed off into a ditch and never lost a truck. Didn't even move on the trailer. It its only a 8k lb truck, I haul my 55k lb excavator, and dozer all the time with 3 chains. Its about chain placement more than anything.

If you want to throw 4 chains and binders to secure a ex go for it, but I damn sure don't when I know for a fact 2 works. Now if your using straps, I'd use 4 and cross them front to back.

:whs:

You don't need to over kill it, just take the time to do it right. Just need 2 good chains, 2 ratcheting chain binders & a few little nylon axle straps to go around the axles & secure the chains to. I've used the flip/boomer style chain binders too in conjunction with the ratcheting binders to take some of the slack up. Check every time you stop for fuel & haul on your merry way.