1997 7.3 electrical problems

Smokin6-0

Reaction score
Like the title says, I have a 97 PSD with a few electrical problems and I could use some pointers.

Background
I purchased this truck for a very low price due to the needed TLC. The truck was originally an XLT but the majority of the interior was swapped into a lower mileage XL by the previous owner including the dash.

The problems
Originally the instrument cluster would not work at all, but it turns out that there were two connectors in the steering column that were not supposed to be used on this truck but the previous owner out them together. This caused a short in the power circuit for the cluster and would pop a fuse as soon as the key was cycled on. This problem was eliminated by just unplugging these connectors.

I still dont have an operable speedometer or odometer. When I was first trying to chase down the short I pulled the cluster out and it didn't have any visible signs damage.

What is the best way to start pinning down these two issues?

Thanks

Adam

Tom S

Reaction score
I would say the factor EVTM book is going to be an absolute nessecity to get this sorted out. I have picked up those books on ebay for quite reasonable in the past. There are also some places that specialize in repairing clusters if you you get to that point. If you can wait for a couple of weeks I can scan some pages of the EVTM when I get back to work.

Whytry

Reaction score
I agree with tom you need something to reference to. It is hard to look at all the wires and just be like yeah thats right. ( not saying you don't know just saying it would be hard to do that).

Smokin6-0

Reaction score
I would say the factor EVTM book is going to be an absolute nessecity to get this sorted out. I have picked up those books on ebay for quite reasonable in the past. There are also some places that specialize in repairing clusters if you you get to that point. If you can wait for a couple of weeks I can scan some pages of the EVTM when I get back to work.
Thanks Tom. This is what I was looking for. I really appreciate it.

I agree with tom you need something to reference to. It is hard to look at all the wires and just be like yeah thats right. ( not saying you don't know just saying it would be hard to do that).

I agree completely.

One more question. I have owned a couple of Super Duties but this is my first OBS. What is the switch that is mounted to the dash on the right side of the instrument cluster? I have flipped it and haven't noticed it change anything.

Whytry

Reaction score
I don't know because I have never owned one. But I am sure one of those wiring diagrams will tell you.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.