230k miles running SVO

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
I thought I'd introduce myself here. Hi, my name is Jason and I'm addicted to PSD's and WVO. I got hooked on PSD in 2003 when I got my '01 F350 and learned about TheDieselStop, then in 2005 I started gathering oil and parts to convert it to WVO. I've often said I can stop anytime I want - but I don't know if I really could. Is there any help for me???? :p

My F350 has a Vegistroke-style DIY conversion with over 140k miles since conversion. Current configuration uses a Frybrid heated pick-up, alum TIH, FASS HPFP, coolant-heated filter, more TIH, a 16plate FPHE on firewall and I have an aux coolant pump in the VO loop to maintain good coolant flow. I see 180*+ VO before the heads. The system is deadheaded and VO is fed into the 'test ports' in the heads. There is a 12v solenoid valve that allows fast purging of the VO from the heads. I used PTFE-lined SS braided fuel lines with JIC ends on the engine.

Here's some of the plumbing on the new engine:
0224000908a.jpg

I built the Excursion for my (ex)wife and wanted it to be simple and BULLETPROOF. I bought a Vegistroke V3 module from Frybrid, mostly because CG was willing to build an under-body VO tank and I was working in Seattle at the time. So, Frybrid heated pick-up in a 38gal tank, TIH, V3 module (coolant heated, FASS, air bleed, pre-pump filter, primary VO filter, temp and press switches, purge solenoid, VO check valve, etc), more TIH a 16plate FPHE on firewall and aux coolant pump. There is NO RUBBER FUEL HOSE anywhere in this system, its either alum tubing or PTFE-lined SS braided hose (on engine). Also sees 180*+ VO before the heads! The truck has over 90k miles on the high-cholesterol diet now.

Gauges and VO system controls:
DSC04527-1.jpg

VO tank during construction:
DSC04761.jpg

'Stealthy' VO tank filler:
DSC04764.jpg

FPHE:
1203081530.jpg

V3 during mock-up:
DSC04851.jpg

The only mods to the factory fuel systems are the addition of check valves at the heads and the ability to turn off the OE fuel pump.

I ended up with a cracked piston at 308k miles and just shy of 120k on grease in the F350. There was no sign of 'alternative fuels' in the broken engine, except maybe some extra carbon in ringland (could also be attributed to idling on diesel...). This engine towed 10-15k lb trailers more than 50% of its life and had a chip for over 100k and 175/146 SS's for the last 70k.

My primary filtration method has been heat and settle using 110-120* and settle for 48+ Hrs, drain bottom and test for water. When its 'dry', I pump thru 10 mic and 2 mic (absolute) FUEL FILTERS and into the trucks. I get 10-15k miles or more out of on-board VO filters. Now, I have a gravity-fed CF but still use a filter before the trucks for good measure.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Glad to see you over here Jason.

For the record, I neither confirm or deny knowing this guy! :p

LOL JK, thanks for the welcome and kind words y'all. Here's more pics, got questions???

F650 dash in F350: not using DP-Tuner anymore and running single Scangauge now...
61898264.jpg

Dunno why this is the only pic I could find of my current configuration on F350, but you can see MB aux coolant pump in foreground, FASS in center and the VO filter has an electric blanket (I went back to coolant-wrap after this 'experiment'...)
0118090912.jpg

Here's a cleaner pic. At least wires and plumbing not hacked up - the Raptor didn't work out and I kinda shoved the FASS in there in a big hurry. :( That extra heater hose dangling down in this pic is what the coolant wrap uses.
DSC05142.jpg

This is what the coolant wrap looks like. There is enough slack built into heater hose to allow filter to come down and slide out of wrap. In winter, I insulate the filter/wrap to mitigate heat loss from 80mph frigid air.
593c2f52.jpg

Here's the tee and a shut off valve for the VO loop coolant supply. I have another valve on the heater core supply line - I close this valve in summer for COLDER A/C and just open it a crack in winter for adequate cabin heat while favoring coolant flow to the VO loop.
DSC05047.jpg

You can see my 200gal VO tank (did I mention that earlier?). This trip was taking a friends truck from NJ to BTS earlier this year. 2400mi with the HAMMER DOWN and we used about 5gals of diesel. :flipa: OPEC!!
eb592c5e.jpg

It werks in cooooold weather just as good as warm!
1005081837.jpg

DSC03786.jpg

(that 5ver is FOR SALE btw...)

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Excursion - also no issues in cooooold weather. Both of these trucks have operated at below 0* ambient temp and still produced 180* VO before the heads (on the highway).
0302001420.jpg

I take the gas station with me! :thumbup: Here's 60 gals and a 12v diaphragm pump (runs on cig lighter and will pump peanut butter!!)
IMAG0869.jpg

Another pic of VO tank before it was installed:
DSC04763.jpg

Here are the only modifications to the OE fuel system: (added CV at head)
DSC04584.jpg

DSC04586.jpg

I swapped turbos on the side of the interstate a few weeks ago (with an old stocker) and then installed a van turbo at camp. Needless to say, it was ultra cool that there was NO PART of the VO conversion in the way of this task. For that matter, I've changed injectors on a couple Vegistroked trucks and NOTHING in the way of even that invasive task!!
IMAG1754.jpg

IMAG1756.jpg

You can see here how I terminated the TIH at the FPHE and bent the fuel line around to go directly into the FPHE - minimizing fittings/connections mitigates potential leaks! I also have valves to turn off coolant supply to VO loop and to isolate the entire VO fuel system from the engine. (you know, in case I run over a Kia and rip a hole in something :p. I also turn off heat if I'm not using VO - don't wanna COOK the stuff in HE's, etc!)
1203081529a.jpg

1203081530.jpg

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Here's the 220v 6k rpm CF and inline heater at shop. I have the same set-up in 110v I plan to set up in the garage of Toy Hauler TT.
b28e1d29.jpg

At the shop, we are now going from 275gal tote thru CF into another 275gal tote. Looks like the Toy Hauler is gonna get a 60gal elevated 'dirty' tank and use my 100gal tank/toolbox for 'clean' oil - if I ever get around to setting it up... I work all over the country and live in camper while I'm on the road. :thumbup:

IMAG1410.jpg

sgleshot

Reaction score
wouldnt happen to have a source and part number on that cigarete lighter 12v pump would ya? I'm looking for something similar for my wmo setup.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
wouldnt happen to have a source and part number on that cigarete lighter 12v pump would ya? I'm looking for something similar for my wmo setup.

Not WMO!!! :doh: Lol. LOL

Its a Whale Pump. Amazon, West Marine, google? If i was at my 'puter id find a link for ya. They aren't cheap or particularly fast (3 gals/max) - but are quiet and CAN move oil no centrifugal pump or any small gear pump will even think about.

I've used a 1hp 4cycle Honda 1" water pump to collect oil with for years. The advantage of this pump is you can push oil thru a filter with it. I have a goldenrod-type
filter housing on the pressure side and use no filter, different size 'screens' all the way to 10mic. This has been a tremendous asset while traveling. I use it to co/lect wvo, then H&S and use same pump to push thru filters (ultimately the same 2mic I use at home for 'final' filter inline after a 10mic g-rod element).

IMHO the most economical pump is a modified SBC pump (melling 55). It can be powered with anything from cordless or corded drill to a salvage elect motor to a gasoline engine. I have a 5hp pressure washer at home with bad pump I will use to power one of these pumps... Hoping itll move 5-10gals/min at just above idle (quiet!!!)

sgleshot

Reaction score
Not WMO!!! :doh: Lol. LOL

Its a Whale Pump. Amazon, West Marine, google? If i was at my 'puter id find a link for ya. They aren't cheap or particularly fast (3 gals/max) - but are quiet and CAN move oil no centrifugal pump or any small gear pump will even think about.

I've used a 1hp 4cycle Honda 1" water pump to collect oil with for years. The advantage of this pump is you can push oil thru a filter with it. I have a goldenrod-type
filter housing on the pressure side and use no filter, different size 'screens' all the way to 10mic. This has been a tremendous asset while traveling. I use it to co/lect wvo, then H&S and use same pump to push thru filters (ultimately the same 2mic I use at home for 'final' filter inline after a 10mic g-rod element).

IMHO the most economical pump is a modified SBC pump (melling 55). It can be powered with anything from cordless or corded drill to a salvage elect motor to a gasoline engine. I have a 5hp pressure washer at home with bad pump I will use to power one of these pumps... Hoping itll move 5-10gals/min at just above idle (quiet!!!)

ya the sbc pump is definitly on my to do list, I'll have to do my homework on the electric pumps, kinda thinkin i may look for a plug and play kinda pump for my filtering setup.

rsr911

Reaction score
FYI I make a plate kit to convert and mount an SBC pump for use as a collection pump. Here's a picture with a "way to big" 6.5hp Honda clone engine. M55HV Melling pump, 10-12gpm at idle pushing WMO. PM or email if you'd like one.

Attachments

• 0403110345a.jpg
    0403110345a.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 104
Reaction score
Sweet set up Jason !!!

Where do you get your oil from while at home ??? My secured source is a chain of Wingstop restaurants, everything but the salads are fried there so my guy goes through a few hundred gallons per month at his 6 restaurants.

Latest posts

Members online