AFTERMARKET GAUGE OVERLAYS!!!

TyCorr

Reaction score
Howdy guys! I've got a 2k superduty and I'm trying to spitshine the turd. I wanna change up the gauge cluster. I hate red interior lighting. The stock green is gross. Most thoughts are either white or cyan(aqua) blue leds in everything.

My true point in this new thread was to acquire pictures of white, silver or even black cluster overlays for the 99-01, 02-04, and even 05-07 Superduties. I'm leaning towards white gauge faces, an overlay to simulate individual gauges, and aqua needles with silver or chrome,he'll even white, hubs. I would really appreciate it if you've upgraded you r cluster to post some pictures. This is purely cosmetic but could be considered safety related if you have trouble viewing the green/red color scheme. I have a burned out bulb so I NEED to remove my dash anyway.

I sifted through threads and Google imaged but didn't find much, if anything. Pictures and advice of what to avoid, what works, etc is duly appreciated.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Bumpkin.....

I know somebody has done this. I'm hoping it'll be.brighter so I.can run the dimmer down more and be able to see.

Is this an old trend or something, hence no replies?

C'mon, I can take it!

TyCorr

Reaction score
if the gauge overlay looks at all aftermarket, its just ricer imo

Right shone! I kinda wanna make the cluster look like the newer trucks do. I like the bezel in the 11+ trucks. Charcoal.grey bezel, black gauges, white numbers, satin needle hubs/cyan colored needles, and white backlighting. It's a nice, crisp look. Problem is, most of aftermarket overlays are royal blue, red, or yellow. Not my cup of tea.

I'd even settle for a brushed bezel, some silver or grey overlay and red/satin needles. Just something a little cleaner and modern looking? You obviously have good, impeccable taste, judging by your KR, any other input, Shone? Or does my plan sound cheesy thus far?

Spatel23

Reaction score
Right shone! I kinda wanna make the cluster look like the newer trucks do. I like the bezel in the 11+ trucks. Charcoal.grey bezel, black gauges, white numbers, satin needle hubs/cyan colored needles, and white backlighting. It's a nice, crisp look. Problem is, most of aftermarket overlays are royal blue, red, or yellow. Not my cup of tea.

I'd even settle for a brushed bezel, some silver or grey overlay and red/satin needles. Just something a little cleaner and modern looking? You obviously have good, impeccable taste, judging by your KR, any other input, Shone? Or does my plan sound cheesy thus far?

Thanks, honestly, Id do a 05-07 dash swap. It would update the interior dramatically and still appear stock. Youd get the white overlay and maybe you can change the red/orange needles. Still green lighting, I'm not sure if that can be changed.
I think that would look much classier then overlays.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Thanks, honestly, Id do a 05-07 dash swap. It would update the interior dramatically and still appear stock. Youd get the white overlay and maybe you can change the red/orange needles. Still green lighting, I'm not sure if that can be changed.

I've been told that isn't doable due to the way the gauge clusters work. I'd love that, however.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Well crap LOL

I didnt know it wouldnt work

Dodge has pretty clean looking clusters. They have an all white cluster then they place a black overlay on it to give the appearance of individual gauges. You seen the blue needles in the current gen superduty, Shone? It's pretty clean looking!

Reaction score
this is a real cluster..not a overlay..got it on ebay 6 years ago and dont remember the seller..the cluster and my autometers lights up blue at night with LED bulbs i installed but i have no pictures of it..

Last edited:

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
check out black cat customs, they do all custom guages, and will design one specifically for you with colors ect....I know you dont like red, but i love red, but heres a shot of what they came up with for me i my 06

DSC01221.jpg

TyCorr

Reaction score
check out black cat customs, they do all custom guages, and will design one specifically for you with colors ect....I know you dont like red, but i love red, but heres a shot of what they came up with for me i my 06

DSC01221.jpg

I like the red. It looks good. I wear sunglasses during the day, even driving in the rain. To say my eyes don't like light is an understatement. So I have to.go.with what will be easiest on my eyes. I had a Pontiac vibe in 03 when they debuted and about two years into it, I traded it in for my first Lincoln ls just because the Amber/red light was driving me mad. I want that soft cyan, or aqua, blue color. Joe, csipsd, had some gauges that color and said.they were irritating at night.

Did you change lighting? I was thinking white or silver so the backlight would be effective enough to allow me to.dim them way down. I don't know what I'll do.

I did drive my buddies 08 dodge last week early in the am. His whiteface gauges and rd needles were pretty nice. I could recreate that cheaply. Need an overlay and paint my needle hubs white. The Lincoln will be.next if it's an improvement.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
I ended up pulling the cluster and changing the bulbs in the back as well, i did a combination of red and clear in order to keep all the colors looking proper, The red guages light up with white/clear bulbs, and the side guages light up with red bulbs. Then i kept clear in the blinker spots and warning lights.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I ended up pulling the cluster and changing the bulbs in the back as well, i did a combination of red and clear in order to keep all the colors looking proper, The red guages light up with white/clear bulbs, and the side guages light up with red bulbs. Then i kept clear in the blinker spots and warning lights.

Got any pics? Or a short video of it lit with the flashers? Looks nice.

Reaction score

I've been told that isn't doable due to the way the gauge clusters work. I'd love that, however.

thats too bad... maybe look into it a little deeper..
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23327

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
20120920_072353_zps86626eea.jpg

Here,s a pic of my US speedo overlay, its silver w blue lighting, i really like it! P.S., sorry about the pic not being real great but im driving. LOL

TyCorr

Reaction score
Thank you. I.haven't seen a dmax dash like that in a looong time. Miss it. I was toying with the idea of picking up an 06 or 07 classic qc/lb white for my new daily.

As long as we're on the topic, why do duramaxes sound like poo. My buddy rode in my 4" straight piped 7.3. He has an 05 with bulldog and 5" magnnaflow exhaust. It was quiet so we put a muff del pipe in and it doesn't sound good. He doesn't like it either. We would have put the muffler back but the escapes came.off. Is it the 5" pipe or what? It's bad.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Its the downpipe, its super restrictive on the lly and lbz the vgt turbo doesn't help either. I have a lb7 with a 3.5" downpipe and 4" exhaust and it sounds beautiful and is stupid loud, I have a video from when I dynoed it and you can see everyone jump and cover there ears. LOL He needs a different intake horn and downpipe to let it breath.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Its the downpipe, its super restrictive on the lly and lbz the vgt turbo doesn't help either. I have a lb7 with a 3.5" downpipe and 4" exhaust and it sounds beautiful and is stupid loud, I have a video from when I dynoed it and you can see everyone jump and cover there ears. LOL He needs a different intake horn and downpipe to let it breath.

Ok. It makes perfect sense. I've only messed with my 7.3 and Cummings trucks. I do remember asking "where's the ***kin downpipe?"

Also, he keeps telling me that he "knows" he's got 475hp. We rode in my truck with Sgt IIs a tune that dynoed 405+ and he asked "how much power does that thing have?" I told him It was a hair over 400. Now I'm no performance guru, but if my truck is dynoed and known to make that power there is no way he's making near that when we did a couple 1/8 mile runs and I'm putting my taillights even with his headlights. Both trucks are lifted six inches and on 35s. What would you guess an lly with a bullydog tuner, air raid intake 5" magnaflow would make?

Latest posts

Members online