And so it begins...... W85

sgleshot

Reaction score
Well after reading all the info on here, I'm taking the plung and going to start mixing up w85 and running it in my dually. I've got roughly 5 to 600 gallons of oil lined up that I can pick up at any time. I drive between 4 and 500 miles a week, so this will without a doubt pay for itself in no time. My plans are to used a mixing and settling tank that has a 3/4 pipe bung welded about 3 to 4 inches up the side of the tank where I'll run a ball valve so i can shut the flow off to the filters, Then another bung in the very bottom of the tank so that I can run a ball valve there to drop water/sludge once it has settled. I'm going to run the water filter with string style element for the primary filter then a baldwin spin on filter after that to make sure things are nice and clean. I'm kinda putting this together as a low buck setup for now, and since my drums have a Oring style lid to them, I plan on using air at very low pressure to cycle the mix through the filters, I'll plumb in an actual pump at a later date.

Heres a few pics of what im workin with, not a whole lot of space, but it is what it is.

2011-06-15_20-05-10_828.png

2011-06-15_20-05-24_593.png

whitejohn

Reaction score
looks like you got it all figured out. my question to you though is what micron rating is your whole house filter? bc its primary job is to make the spin on last longer since they are a lot cheaper. otherwise best of luck

sgleshot

Reaction score
looks like you got it all figured out. my question to you though is what micron rating is your whole house filter? bc its primary job is to make the spin on last longer since they are a lot cheaper. otherwise best of luck

The whole house filter is the wound string lookin type filter and its calling for a 10micron rating, then im going to be running it through a 2 micron absolute spin on right after it. I mixed my first batch up last night, I modified a $5 drill powered paint stirer from home depot, lemme tell ya that sombitch can mix up a 55 gallon barrel quicker than all get out!! I would up mixing 40 gallons of wmo to a frogs hair over 6gal of rug, its good lookin oil, no chunks and no water, should be a good batch. Cant wait to not have to drop $100 at the pumps on monday. I got it all mixed last night and gonna smash on the filters tonight and run the line into the finished drum. Should be good to go for filtering on monday.

2011-06-16_23-34-59_318.png

2011-06-16_23-35-10_475.png

2011-06-16_23-35-18_741.png

glamis

Reaction score
did you weld or braze that bung on the barrel
i need to do that to a couple of barrels
my plan is to put the bung on the bottom,next to the edge
and give the barrel a 15 degree tilt during the setteling
then the drain off will be more accurate

heat to 200 deg
add in 5-7 gall rug
wrap a rag around the mixer and mix(alot of fumes,afraid of setting it off)
let settel 24 hrs
remove to the bottom of the barrel on the high side,of the 15 degrees
run viscosity teat(adjust)
pump through a 5 micron on into the truck

lol why did i tell you all that
sorry if i bored you,w85 on the brain i guess

sgleshot

Reaction score
did you weld or braze that bung on the barrel
i need to do that to a couple of barrels
my plan is to put the bung on the bottom,next to the edge
and give the barrel a 15 degree tilt during the setteling
then the drain off will be more accurate

heat to 200 deg
add in 5-7 gall rug
wrap a rag around the mixer and mix(alot of fumes,afraid of setting it off)
let settel 24 hrs
remove to the bottom of the barrel on the high side,of the 15 degrees
run viscosity teat(adjust)
pump through a 5 micron on into the truck

lol why did i tell you all that
sorry if i bored you,w85 on the brain i guess

ya cant tell by the pic, but i took a giant dead blow and caved the bottom of the barrel out and welded a bung in the bottom of the barrel as well so i can drain off water or sludge whenever i want, and the bung is a few inches up the side so that i wont pick up any of the settled crap when im filtering. I'm not planning on heating mine, I dont plan on doing large quantities, just what i need to do what i want, plus a little extra on hand. And I've made it pretty clear with all the friends that own shops that im getting oil from that if theres any water in it, put it in the drum for "the other guys to pick up". It helps since I write all their insurance on their businesses. :D Plus every company around here charges to remove the oil, so I'm actually saving them a few bucks in the long run. Just costs me a few barley samiches every now and again l:toast:

whitejohn

Reaction score
your gonna want to look into getting some finer whole house filters than that. something like 1 micron and the reason being is the whole house filters arent great filters but they are cheap and they help to make your expensive spin on filter last alot longer since they are expensive. and with only a 10 micron infront of it the spinon will clog up rather quickly

sgleshot

Reaction score
your gonna want to look into getting some finer whole house filters than that. something like 1 micron and the reason being is the whole house filters arent great filters but they are cheap and they help to make your expensive spin on filter last alot longer since they are expensive. and with only a 10 micron infront of it the spinon will clog up rather quickly

Good call. I remember there were some finer ones at the tractor supply

glamis

Reaction score

humm,i filter my oil once with a single 5 micron final filter
after heating,blending,setteling
transfer 90 percent of that
into another barrel,blend a little more final filter,done

whitejohn

Reaction score
dave- yeah that works fine i agree but a bunch of us are trying out these new filters that are 2 micron (overkill) and we need finer filters bc of it.

sgleshot i buy my whole house filters from http://www.mcmaster.com they have the filter cheap and if you buy in bulk they are really cheap plus they usually ship same day so your not waiting around for your parts

sgleshot

Reaction score
dave- yeah that works fine i agree but a bunch of us are trying out these new filters that are 2 micron (overkill) and we need finer filters bc of it.

sgleshot i buy my whole house filters from http://www.mcmaster.com they have the filter cheap and if you buy in bulk they are really cheap plus they usually ship same day so your not waiting around for your parts

ya thats the plan once i get up and running, but I just checked, the local tractor supply has the finer filters in stock and i can buy just a pair to see how they work for the first batch for a lil over $2 a pair. If theyre good to go then I'll order them by the gross :D

sgleshot

Reaction score
that and i dont wanna wait, i've got a half a tank of fuel in the dually now and ill be damned if im gonna pay pump prices anymore

glamis

Reaction score

on mcmasters site could you link right to the page where the filter you mentioned is listed,they gotta lotta sh!z ,i cant find the one your talking about

glamis

Reaction score
ok link dosent take me to the filter
serching their site for pn 4411k77 dosent work
looking through their list of fuel filters dosent work
sh!t

can you walk me through it,example
go master carr go fuel filters
go 3rd page ect

thanks

sgleshot

Reaction score
here is the 1 micron filter pn 4411K77
and the link http://www.mcmaster.com/?orderview=new#order-history/=ctifxg

sgleshot i hear you about buying pump diesel i had to last week break down and buy 30 bucks worth to get myself home and it barely got me a quarter tank when im used to 20 bucks filling my truck

I hear ya, I race Pro tough trucks all over the east coast, this is the difference between making money on a race and loosing money. i'm pumped!

So ya, I filtered my first batch today!!! and topped of the dually with 15 gallons of it, almost instantly the truck runs smoother, quieter, and actually feels more responsive, no exhauste haze, and doesnt smoke any more than usual. I'm thrilled already.

But i do have one question, how do you guys tell when you have the right consistency with your mix? Mine is a little thicker than diesel fuel currently, my fuel pressure doesnt fluctuate and everything seems fine, but i just wanted to make sure. The batch i am running now is a W85 mix with RUG.

rsr911

Reaction score
ok link dosent take me to the filter
serching their site for pn 4411k77 dosent work
looking through their list of fuel filters dosent work
sh!t

can you walk me through it,example
go master carr go fuel filters
go 3rd page ect

thanks

Catalog page 373, Same filters I run. 4411k77

whitejohn

Reaction score
Catalog page 373, Same filters I run. 4411k77

chris thanks once again for clarifying for me.

sgleshot do you ever get up into pa when your racing? im in northeast pa and if you ever get up this way for an event let me kno ill come watch the races

sgleshot

Reaction score
where abouts in NE PA? I'm about an hour south of buffalo NY, We're hauling to bloomsburg second weekend in july for the 4 wheel jamboree there. then after that its off to indianapolis in september, plus a handful of local races that I use to test and tune.

whitejohn

Reaction score
i live half hour outside of scranton and i was planning on making it down to the jamboree nationals in bloomsburg

sgleshot

Reaction score
i live half hour outside of scranton and i was planning on making it down to the jamboree nationals in bloomsburg

cool! ya we'll be rollin in on thursday night the 7th. Heres a couple shots of my truck.

lima1-1.jpg

lima2-1.jpg

lima3.jpg

lima4.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.