Preparing a 275 Gallon Tote

ToyTonka

Reaction score
I've got one of these, and I wish to set it up in my process. I want to drill some holes into it, and put some plumbing fixtures into it. How do you suggest I go about this? I want to do it properly. I don't want to have to deal with any leaks.

sgleshot

Reaction score
I would assume if possible use a bulkhead fitting of sorts with teflon washers, they usually seal up really well. I've done similar on fuel cells with 0 issues. Guess it all depends on where your looking to put the fitting in the tank and if you can get at it from the inside

ToyTonka

Reaction score
I was thinking about that, but to get a fitting all the way down in the tank will be kinda tough. I'm looking into options right now though.

Tampa450

Reaction score
You cant just hook up to the 2" opening /ball valve on the bottom of the tote?

rsr911

Reaction score
If the intention is to tap part way down the tote then use a standpipe cut to the length you want to reach and pump it out. Far less chance of leaks that way. I think you will find it very difficult to put a bulkhead fitting in a tote.

evo45

Reaction score
I have one of these on the top of my tote. http://www.google.com/products/cata...sa=X&ei=8GoWTtyqKaH40gGPv-ly&ved=0CFgQ8gIwAw# I didnt buy it from here but it works well at sealing up the top of the tote. I use it to with a piece of 1" pvc going to the bottom of the tote to drain oil into. Kind of like an up flow thing with out having it flow to another tote. I'll take a couple pics of what I am talking about tomorrow.

I wouldnt suggest putting one of these on the side of the tote, I think it would seal but if it didnt what a mess that would make. If you want to pick up at a certain point in the tote use the pvc as a straw to pull the oil out. Then there will be no concern of a leak other then the bottom fitting, which should be capped when not in use. I have a bad valve on the bottom of one of my totes that is full of oil that needs to be changed next time I get it emptied. For now there is a second metal ballvalve.