Srw vs drw

Saltz

Reaction score
Is it possible for a srw to tow just as much as a drw?
I'm sorry it might b a stupid question I'm just trying to learn.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

TyCorr

Reaction score
Umm,yes.

I have only a couple hundred thousand miles of.towing under my.belt. I'm on my fourth duramax and about 700k miles. 265k on my superduty. 30k of which it wasn't married to a GN. My first tow bitch was a f350 drw cc/lb 460 zf5. I've never missed the extra set of wheels. I don't dislike them either but don't find the advantages to outweigh the drawbacks. If I was running interstates with a big 5er camper I'd.probably run duals. Then again, a lift and wider wheels does wonders for stability.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
IMO, theres no comparison. Yeah you can pull as much with a SRW, but DRW just handles better and makes you more confident...for light stuff though, SRW all the way.

Black_Pstroke

Reaction score
IMO, theres no comparison. Yeah you can pull as much with a SRW, but DRW just handles better and makes you more confident...for light stuff though, SRW all the way.

^^^^^ pretty well sums it up if you are gonna be hooked to massive loads on a constant basis buy a dually. If you are just looking to pull occasionally on the weekends buy a SRW.

colo_dually

Reaction score
There are set towing capacities, the DRW trucks are set up to allow heavier loads, and you should check your insurance and state laws before pushing those ratings. (I don't want to make this a legal debate).

There are differences in the rear axle weights between the two trucks. (the SRW's are Sterling 10.5" vs. the DRW's Dana 80s (F350) or Dana110 (F450) with 9K of RAWR or more (after '05). Also the transmission coolers are bigger on the DRW trucks (again after '05). So there will be differences on what kind of pin weight you can carry with similar overall wieghts (again factors into the stability).

Where you start seeing the true benefit of the DRW truck, is when you feel the stability of the load, and should you blow a rear tire out, you have more control until you can pull over. Personally, I wouldn't have a dedicated towing vehicle that wasn't a DRW, and feel that once you cross into that 10-12K load routinely, you are sellling yourself short with a SRW truck.

TyCorr

Reaction score
^^^^^ pretty well sums it up if you are gonna be hooked to massive loads on a constant basis buy a dually. If you are just looking to pull occasionally on the weekends buy a SRW.

If a massive load is in tow that often you need a semi. Did you guys ever consider that there isn't always room at the destination for the duals. Perhaps a driveway in a nice neighborhood? If you run nationwide with a tall load, I would say it's better. But.pulling anything else, no way? Especially a truck with wider aftermarket wheels. Had both and I don't see advantages anywhere else. In fact, nobody around here runs drw trucks anymore. Well, there are a few concrete guys who seem to think they need a dually diesel to pull a skiddy. LOL

Denver

Reaction score
The answer is yes and no. Yes you can pull the same amount of weight but a srw can't handle the same pin weight (in bed hook up trailer) as a DRW.

Atsah

Reaction score
I have owned and towed with both.. I liked the way the dually towed over the SRW truck by far but if I was only towing short distances and once in a while I would just go with a SRW because other than towing, the dually is a PITA.. Car washes, the rims are a PITA to keep balanced and the cost of two added tires and twice the cost at the toll plaza's..

Zmann

Reaction score
I chucked outboard Airbags and a Hellwig stabilizer on My SRW to make mine more stable
I can't see driving a DRW as a daily driver for my needs

Steamfighter

Reaction score
I have owned and towed with both. the dually is much smoother and has a better ride/handling with a heavy trailer, but if i was not towing a large goose neck or 5th wheel, would not bother with a dually. My 2012 F250 pulls better/ harder than my 06 F350 dually did with better gears for towing etc, but, neither of my trailers would budge my dually traveling down the road flat out. The 250 hauls azz too, but you know the trailer is there.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I love my dually when I'm towing, the extra stability is nice and I like the look of most trucks with hips :D. I would say that the biggest advantage over a SRW is the added rear axle capacity. Otherwise like others said you can gain plenty of stability from a wider tire/ wheel combo to feel comfortable moving most things these trucks can move. It all boils down to which one would work better for what you need the truck to do. A dedicated tow rig, I would lean towards a dually. Daily driver/ weekend tow rig probably SRW.

The only big draw back that has bothered me about my truck is having to buy a fifth and sixth tire. Otherwise I would say its not much different from a SRW, parking isn't any harder when your used to it, I haven't had any problems with keeping tires balanced either.

Last edited:

tbsimmons

Reaction score
5th and 6th tire doesnt bother me a much as the tail wagging the dog.
Think of it this way what would be easier to bend 4 sidewalls or 8? You can make a SRW handle the weight suspension wise but nobody is going to convince me (since I have towed a lot of weight with both) that is handles the same at speeds.
Now if you are going to be towing in mud, sand (beach), or snow, a SRW shines with the right tires. A dually will do fine in snow (with the right tires), but the other 2, I will take a wide SRW. Other than that I would take a dually any day. I dont see how they are harder to park. The fenders dont stick out further than the mirrors or the trailer.
Tires balanced on a dually, look up centramatics. They are GREAT.
My step dad had to sell his 05 F350 because his "Retirement" job doesnt allow duallys to be billed (which is crazy for a oil field construction company, but he makes more than the payment, maintenance and fuel). So he bought a 11 F250. He told me that he loves the power but misses the dually for stability. He tows a 16000# range Carriage. After my mom retires he said he is buying another dually. For people as tight with money (not financially) as they are to say that means something to me.

Twan

Reaction score
You like the single better for towing in sand and snow/ice? I pull with both, and hands down, I will take my dually over single in sand, snow/ice. My ford, has 35x12.5 and stock Goodyears, and my chevy, dually has the Goodyears silty armer pulling my 40' 5th wheel I can drive in 2wd were my ford needs 4wd, now use 4wd in both because I have it. I haven't found a place my single with out performe my dually pulling. Now this is my thoughts, and finding.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I like the wide SRW in sand. Now if they are mud tires they suck in sand, dig too much. But overall the wide foot print is better in sand than the duals, unless you can get them aired down enough to make basically a wide SRW. My 450 sucks in the sand and the mud at work (Even with basically All Terrains), I need 4wd much more than I did in my SRW, which is silt. Hell my 2wd Tacoma does better in the mud than the 450 in 2wd. Just put about 400# over the axle and you are good.
Overall I would take my dually over the SRW any day with what I feel is a restriction. Handles the weight much better.

Denver

Reaction score
Keep in ming weight ratings for the axles. I have a 5th wheel with a 2200 lb. pin weight and a toolbox with 800 lbs. of items. I tow this with a SRW truck. If the pin weight was 3200 lbs. + the 800 lb box I would get a DRW. I did pull the trailer in 40 mph winds and it did well but I could feel it moving around. Another thing on my mind is a blow out on a SRW but only when it's windy or 95*+. I did pull my friends 40' 5th wheel with a F250 with D range tires. It did well but I was worried about the tires and if I got pulled over. Would've gotton in trouble for being over loaded.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online