Brake problems/questions

JD3020

Reaction score
Sometime this winter i noticed my truck seemed to shutter a little when i was on the brake like it had warped rotors. I don't think i ever felt the peddle pulse. But the problem was intermittent. It would do that all day one day, then be fine for the next couple days. Over the winter/spring its gotten worse and now shutters bad and i can feel the peddle/truck kinda pulsing when i'm on the pedal. But the shutter isn't always there. Yesterday i drove around for a while and never once felt the truck shutter, today its done it all day.

And sometime early winter i got new tires, and my front brakes didn't seem like they were dragging any and the tires rolled pretty freely. I rotated em Tuesday(4k miles since i put em on), and i noticed that my front tires didn't roll freely at all. The brakes seemed like they were dragging really bad. My truck will usually slow down going down hills, even if the torque converter is unlocked and truck is in neutral.

The front brake lines, and the entire rear brake assembly(drums and everything) were replaced last spring at the dealer. I prolly have about 10k on that, and the front brakes were like new then.

So whats going on here? I'm pretty new to working on brakes so i don't even know where to start.

Tom S

Reaction score
The most likely area of concern for your brake shudder would be warped rotors.

JD3020

Reaction score
The most likely area of concern for your brake shudder would be warped rotors.

Thats what i thought. But every vehicle that i've been around that has warped rotors shutters whenever your on the brakes. Mine only does it periodically, any weather, any speed. :shrug:

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Check your caliper pins. My guess is one of them is sticking sometimes causing the pad to apply crooked causing vibration.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
^ that seems to make sense in my half drunken brain at the moment.

Tom S

Reaction score
My usual experience is that you often only notice it during hard high speed stops not all the time.

Latest posts

Members online