Rough Idle

97Stroker

Reaction score
I've been fighting this problem for months, It starts to idle rough as in surging and cylinders cutting out but it sounds and feels perfect while its driving. I replace the CPS and it goes away for a bout 2 months and the same thing happens again. I replace the CPS and it runs perfect. Is there anything else that could be causing this that would be fixed for a little while a new CPS?

Tom S

Reaction score
I think Guzzle still has the good original black CPS on his site instead of all the later crummy ones.

97Stroker

Reaction score
Yeah, I had got one from advance auto parts before and that one was definitely junk, but I had heard the ones from ford are supposed to be good. Yeah if this one doesnt work for me I'll have to get an original one.

Talyn

Reaction score
The purple one from IH, or the black one is what you wanna get.

TURTLE

Reaction score
There really is no huge difference in which CPS you get. My family owns 4 powerstrokes and I have had different ones in all of them. Some work some dont. "Good" pnes have been junk and "Bad" ones have never failed. I do know however you shouldnt run the IH ones if you have a good amount of modifications done to your truck. It should be pretty much stock. Thats really the only true problem Ive heard of.

Talyn

Reaction score
There really is no huge difference in which CPS you get. My family owns 4 powerstrokes and I have had different ones in all of them. Some work some dont. "Good" pnes have been junk and "Bad" ones have never failed. I do know however you shouldnt run the IH ones if you have a good amount of modifications done to your truck. It should be pretty much stock. Thats really the only true problem Ive heard of.

Not calling you out, but that information is incorrect buddy.

There are massive differences in the 4 or 5 different CPS's available for our trucks.

And saying don't use IH Cps's is like saying "dont turn on your motor"
We have an IH motor.

It's just the consensus that the black and purple ones are the best.

One of the CPS's if not shimmed correctly will have errors reading the timing plate, and who here knows how to shim their CPS besides me?
Yeah. I hear those crickets.
Even then, shimmed, I wouldn't trust it.

Stick with the good ones. They are hall effect sensors.
The black and purple one have a wider band and will read better.

TURTLE

Reaction score
Well the information Im going on is the information I have collected and experienced.... So maybe I am just lucky. But like I said Ive tried them all and have had black ones that are **** and am currently running a gray one that hase yet to give me problems. As for the IH purple one I have just been told by multiple people to not run those except on a stock truck.... Please show me where I said dont use an IH sensor.... And thanks for letting me know we have IH motors in our trucks. I dont know how I survived not knowing that pertinent information....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online