24 lbs. of boost max?

Cory S

Reaction score
hey guys i have a 2000 stg 2 inj 160/80;s and a 38 r and on tunes from a few different ppl i can only get 24 plbs. MAX stock truck wth a chip can keep up with me? any help

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
who's tunes and what tune, what housing on the 38r? my eco tune from matt is lucky to hit 20, my extreme tune will hit about 30, all things equal, stock turbo though.....

maybe not a boost leak, maybe up pipe leaks? losing drive instead of boost. did you keep the stock wastegate actuator, and is it set right? i think stock is somewhere around 20-24 psi gated.....

Big Bore

Reaction score
Something I noticed with 175's, Spearco IC and a 38r with ported housing was lower boost than my OBS with stock turbo and 150's. It definitely has way more power though, so if a stock truck is keeping up with you there is another issue. Crank down the wastegate. Check up pipes and exhaust manifolds. Look for codes. Check ICP.

Big Bore

Reaction score
hey guys i have a 2000 stg 2 inj 160/80;s and a 38 r and on tunes from a few different ppl i can only get 24 plbs. MAX stock truck wth a chip can keep up with me? any help

Just to clarify a couple things. 160cc is a stage I injector. A 38r will read less boost than a stock turbo for the same amount of power because it flows better.

Is the wastegate actuator still connected? Take the red boost line off the little canister and plug the red line.

What kind of truck is the "stocker" with a chip. Same truck/body style/weight/tire size? How many miles on your motor? Have you done a compression check? How did you check for boost leaks? Have you checked the exhaust and up pipes for signs of leaks? Where and from who did you get the injectors and turbo? Have you done a scan/buzz test/contribution test?

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
I have AC codes and a 38R in F350 and with bellowed up-pipes (no drive pressure leaks) and only boost leak we found was minor around the temp sensor in spider. I'm only seeing 25-27psi MAX, running 6spd tunes from BTS.

I was hitting 30psi with 175/146 sticks, stock turbo with 300k miles on it and Jody's tunes. It runs great and stays cool even towing HEAVY, so I'm good with it.

Btw, without boost fooler, it OBVIOUSLY defuels at about 24psi and sets CEL.

How are you checking for boost leaks?

Cory S

Reaction score
Just to clarify a couple things. 160cc is a stage I injector. A 38r will read less boost than a stock turbo for the same amount of power because it flows better.

Is the wastegate actuator still connected? Take the red boost line off the little canister and plug the red line.

What kind of truck is the "stocker" with a chip. Same truck/body style/weight/tire size? How many miles on your motor? Have you done a compression check? How did you check for boost leaks? Have you checked the exhaust and up pipes for signs of leaks? Where and from who did you get the injectors and turbo? Have you done a scan/buzz test/contribution test?

yes still connected, the stock truck is my fathers truck completely stock stock exhaust and intake with a superchips 1705 same cab config and everything as mine same year.

320k, checked with a home made boost leak tester. never done a compression test. exhaust has no leaks up pipes have a little black around the donut but have been like that for 50,000 miles. same on me i need to order bellowed up pipes. injecters i bought from a local buddy he said cass built them. turbo i bought from will iott before he passed. buzz and contrbution test out good.

- a little more info for you power is great until 2500 rpms and then dies out. falls on its face. if i give it 75% throttle it will run through the gears without falling on its face

TARM

Reaction score
If itsonly 46psi and that maxed at idle your injectors might not be in the best shape as youlikely had little to no pressure @ wot. This is of course if the reg is not just set at this level so there is more flow capacity there as opposed to a failing or overstrained fuel pump that is creating the low pressure with all the flow being used

CSIPSD

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqy1138spFw

Watch the fuel pressure...

Had a bad fuel pump and was trying to get it the last 400 miles to the job... Sucked arse.

I'm betting fuel system and the pickup is clogged...

2253411100100112691S600x600Q85.jpg

2790122570100112691S600x600Q85.jpg

Latest posts

Members online