6.4 powerstroke exhaust brake

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
I got a 2008 F350 crew cab long bed with the 6.4l powerstroke and ZF6 manual transmission. I have an AFE stage 2, Egr block off plates, 4" down pipe back exhaust, and RCD 450 tuner, need a new clutch soon... : ) but I was wondering does anyone know of a company coming out with an exhaust brake for the 6.4 powerstroke other then the banks speed brake because it doesn't work for a manual transmission? I was thinking about using a 6.0 powerstroke exhaust brake if some company doesn't make one.

BFT

Reaction score
i dont think they make one for the 6.4, or there might not be a market for it. from what i understand its a heat issue that makes the seals go bad on the trucks with the DPF.
you can try to make one work from something else

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
the thing is i no longer have a dpf so i don't see my 6.4 having seals going bad to heat, but since it is bolted to a manual transmission the speed brake isn't available. You guys think a 6.0 exhaust brake would work?

jdgleason

Reaction score
You could find a pac brake and have a manual control, but idk of they make any for 5" exhaust. Kinda curious about the banks IQ now...

Dzchey21

Reaction score
seriously look into the banks IQ with the exhaust brake option, you dont have to get tuning and its a nice monitor for guages as well, controls the vanes in the turbo to create back pressure, which essentally is what an exhaust brake is...

jdgleason

Reaction score
Haha right? Will it work similar to the stock ones on cr cummins? Can you get the speedbrake alone without IQ for gauges?

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
I talked to Mike at kem. He told me he was in on a study of increasing the braking of the turbo. Said it caused premature turbo failure.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I talked to Mike at kem. He told me he was in on a study of increasing the braking of the turbo. Said it caused premature turbo failure.

banks cycles the vanes pretty quick to control back pressure and turbo speed, i didnt understand why they cycled it untill you brought that up...

I could see how just jamming it to 99% duty cycle might not be good for the turbo...

Banks makes good stuff, just for most of us, its not exactly what we need, and not really for the price we want, but for 90 percent of the people out there just looking for that little extra, they do make a decent product. I hope i dont get burned too bad for that one haha

BFT

Reaction score
Somebody poke me with a sharp stick! A Banks product has actually been recommended on a diesel enthusiast web site. Prepare yourself for the rapture!!!.LOLLOLLOL

i rock the banks intake...over 60k and no problems

banks cycles the vanes pretty quick to control back pressure and turbo speed, i didnt understand why they cycled it untill you brought that up...

I could see how just jamming it to 99% duty cycle might not be good for the turbo...

Banks makes good stuff, just for most of us, its not exactly what we need, and not really for the price we want, but for 90 percent of the people out there just looking for that little extra, they do make a decent product. I hope i dont get burned too bad for that one haha

being that they are the only ones that offer it, im sure they have the upper hand as far as that is concerned.
there was someone on PSN who had it and liked it...i dont think it was a manual though?

02BigD

Reaction score

Quoted for posterity :pointlaugh:

Dzchey21

Reaction score
jim hallers f-450 has the banks with speed brake or whatever they call it on a manual trans truck, works really well, almost too well sometimes LOL
Banks makes a good intake and intercooler for the 6.4

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
How can i get ahold of Jims hallers? I'm curious about how he got the banks speed brake to work with his manual transmission 6.4. I was told by banks that it wouldn't work and didn't have plans to make a speed brake for the manual transmission....

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
I went to 97singlecab's profile page and it says his name is mike hallers. Did you mix up the two people? Or maybe you wrote a typo and meant to say mike hallers when you accidently wrote jim hillers? I just want to get things correct to make sure I'm getting ahold of the correct person. Thanks for your help Dzchevy21

Members online

No members online now.