tow rig build

Grizzdog

Reaction score
Finally slowing down for work. Been home for more then 3 days in a row cant believe it.

One of my wonderful employee's rear ended someone with a company truck and totaled both vehicles out.
With that said i need anthor truck. Looking for a project to work on for the next few months while things are slow.

450 or 550 are a must as we haul some heavy stuff.
Must be 4 wd
I really dont want a 4 dr but i feel for the poor guy that has to ride in the back of my extended cab on a 900 mile trip.

I own a 350 7.3 cclb srw, 350 6.4 eclb drw,450 6.4 rclb, and a 550 7.3 cclb.

This truck will haul a 100 gal transfer tank, welder, and pull a 32 ft gooseneck with dual hauling around a 15,000 tractor.

Do i bite the bullet and just buy new or do you guys have a build that you would trust letting my employees drive cross country and not have to worry about it blowing up.

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Everybody that I've talked to that tow heavy with a 450-550 6.7 complain about power. The 450-550's don't have the same turbo setup and are a bit lacking on power.

bad12jr

Reaction score
A 7.3 550 with 160s, 38r, headstuds and a bts or other built auto. Good tow tunes and 4:10 gear swap would be my ultimate tow rig.

Sent from my x2 somewhere

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
If you buy new you'll have warranty from coast to coast, that seems like the best option. It will be more expensive but you won't be tracking down aftermarket parts to get your truck back on the road.

Grizzdog

Reaction score
New is an option but i havent had any fun time working on a truck in the past 2 years. Ive been fixing crap that decides to break in the middle of nowhere when im 10 hrs from home:)

Thats what the wife said too just buy new so i have the warrenty.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I have pulled about 18000 with a 6.0 and a 6.4.
The 6.0
Lifted on 35's, 4.56's, Spearco, 4" DP back, Innovative Tuning.
I thought it pulled great. Trailer too heavy in the pin weight department for a SRW.
Bought the 6.4
Stock power was about as good as the 6.0 tuned. I figure it by mph over hills I climb on a normal basis.
Intake, 4" DP back, Innovative Tuning.
MUCH BETTER. I would pick a 6.4 tuned over a 6.7, my dad has one. They are beasts and run really cool if you dont try and tow on a race tune.
Never towed with a 7.3, but I cant imagine that a 7.3 would compare to a 6.4 without a lot of mods.
I would take my dually over a new one. The new ones are really nice, but between the price tag and not towing as well as a 6.4 with a tow tune is a downfall to me.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
I have pulled about 18000 with a 6.0 and a 6.4.
The 6.0
Lifted on 35's, 4.56's, Spearco, 4" DP back, Innovative Tuning.
I thought it pulled great. Trailer too heavy in the pin weight department for a SRW.
Bought the 6.4
Stock power was about as good as the 6.0 tuned. I figure it by mph over hills I climb on a normal basis.
Intake, 4" DP back, Innovative Tuning.
MUCH BETTER. I would pick a 6.4 tuned over a 6.7, my dad has one. They are beasts and run really cool if you dont try and tow on a race tune.
Never towed with a 7.3, but I cant imagine that a 7.3 would compare to a 6.4 without a lot of mods.
I would take my dually over a new one. The new ones are really nice, but between the price tag and not towing as well as a 6.4 with a tow tune is a downfall to me.
100% agree. A moderately modified (tuner intake/deleted) 6.4 is getting it done with zero issues. from what I hear, the 6.7s do ok towing, but I have no experience with them.

Manytoys

Reaction score
I have ran an 08, 2011, and now a 2012 all F450 Pickups, not CC's. My 11 was better than my 08 and my 12 seems better yet. My 6.4 was deleted and tuned with edge race evo, with AFE intake and it towed well, but the 6.7 just seems to do it just a bit better while still managing better MPG stock. Once I deleted my 6.7 it was night and day difference and I much prefer it to the 6.4, and now my 12 seems to be a bit better than the 11 stock to stock and I am loving it now with the delete and tune. Plus they are IMO alot nicer trucks inside and more comfortable. And the warranty would serve you well, with so called "responsible" employees driving your truck.

slowstroke

Reaction score
I built up my 7.3 F550 as a tow rig & grossed 40-45k lbs but if I had to do it again I would have just bought a class 7 or 8 truck & called it a day. (if I had the money lol)

just get a class 7 tractor its less hassle then modifying the engine & trans of a f450/550

The benefits are

Engine brake
bigger service brakes
more comfortable ride with air ride cab, seats & suspension
more room if you get a tractor with a sleeper
minium of 450hp & a 13 spd you can pull whatever you want
Longer maintenance intervals

Grizzdog

Reaction score
I built up my 7.3 F550 as a tow rig & grossed 40-45k lbs but if I had to do it again I would have just bought a class 7 or 8 truck & called it a day. (if I had the money lol)

just get a class 7 tractor its less hassle then modifying the engine & trans of a f450/550

The benefits are

Engine brake
bigger service brakes
more comfortable ride with air ride cab, seats & suspension
more room if you get a tractor with a sleeper
minium of 450hp & a 13 spd you can pull whatever you want
Longer maintenance intervals

I would but some of the places i have to get into and get stuck in i would never get a semi out. I can pull any truck/trailer i have out with the equipment on it. I worry with a semi i would be calling a wrecking company out to get me unstuck.
I dont haul a lot of heavy stuff. Just a lot of equipment.

slowstroke

Reaction score
I would but some of the places i have to get into and get stuck in i would never get a semi out. I can pull any truck/trailer i have out with the equipment on it. I worry with a semi i would be calling a wrecking company out to get me unstuck.
I dont haul a lot of heavy stuff. Just a lot of equipment.

what kind of places do you have to get into?

how much weight do you haul?

Grizzdog

Reaction score
Typically gross about 20-25k.

Ive hauled up old logging roads with a tractor pulling the truck/trailer and a skid loader pushing it. Ive been in more sketchy situations then i ever care to admit. in oregon we had my 40ft gooseneck trailer so stuck in a bottom that i had to leave it there till it dried up some.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
I've got a 4x4 '06 F-550 reg cab for sale. 6.0 that runs great, deletes, head studs, etc. I would not hesitate to drop in some bigger inejctors and a tune and start towing.
My '05 6.0 has moderate performance work and it is the best towing vehicle I've ever owned.
Just thoguht I'd throw that out there.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Typically gross about 20-25k.

Ive hauled up old logging roads with a tractor pulling the truck/trailer and a skid loader pushing it. Ive been in more sketchy situations then i ever care to admit. in oregon we had my 40ft gooseneck trailer so stuck in a bottom that i had to leave it there till it dried up some.

I would pick between a 7.3 or 6.4. I think you would be happy with either one if that's the range of weight you will be carrying. Obviously the 6.4 will be nicer and have more power, but a tuned 7.3 with an intake and exhaust is never going to die. A superduty with a 7.3 can be had for a reasonable price these days to.

Pick your poison, I think it would be hard to go wrong choosing between the two of those.

Grizzdog

Reaction score
Im going to try and find a extended cab 550 in 7.3 or 6.4 i need to find one with a plow too.

mike@haller's

Reaction score
Problem with 550 6.4s is they come with 4.88 gears, and get terrible mileage. We built a 550 tow rig last year for a guy. Dpf delete, tune, and airbox. Guy pulled 25k pounds at 65 mph taching 2600 rpm. He claimed he only got 5 mpg with it.
They do have different gear sets out now for dana 110s. If I did a 550 6.4 the first thing I would do is swap the gears.