Which trans is easy for a cummins swap?

strokinfarmtruck

Reaction score
Alright fellas,been thinking when the ol 7.3 goes out just to swap to a 12v cummins. What would be the easiest for the swap? Keep the zf5 or get a NV4500? Oh and my truck is a 95 with a 5 speed already in it.....Thanks!!

Uncle_jesse

Reaction score
im just in the middle of doing a 12v swap in my 93 f350 and i had considered swapping the zf5 out for a nv4500 but it seems that there is alot less problems with the zf and less fab work to do trying to mate another trans in the truck

moose99psd

Reaction score
I would definitely keep the zf it's a much stronger trans than the nv is. If you make any swap I'd loin for a 6 speed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

MAC

Reaction score
Easiest swap would be to leave the ZF5 and get the adapter plate.

With all the parts Destroked and Fordcummins sells, the whole swap is almost a bolt on deal.

me2

Reaction score
I would definitely keep the zf it's a much stronger trans than the nv is. If you make any swap I'd loin for a 6 speed.

+1. And make sure you put in a good clutch. Not that I know what that would be.

Pstroke96

Reaction score
you will have to modify the floor if you want to go to a zf6 at the same time, it is alot taller and longer than the 5 is

Uncle_jesse

Reaction score
Do you have to modify the driveshafts?

the only reason some people modify the shafts is if your looking to use the stock cummins rad fan and you have to move the trans back 2 1/2 " .. i didnt move mine back i wanted to steer clear of having custom shafts its abit tight to the rad but electrics should work

MAC

Reaction score
Destroked's site doesn't show any motor mount for OBS Fords, might try calling them to make sure.

I know FordCunnins makes mounts, but some people say they are a flimsy, others say not to worry.

Auto World also makes mounts, but once again their site doesn't show mounts for OBS.

Uncle_jesse

Reaction score
I built my own mounts and utilized the factory ford motor mounts it was Easyer then I expected and I was able to drop the motor quite low down and haven't had any clearance issues I know fordcummins offers motor mounts but I haven't found any that use the ford mount

Uncle_jesse

Reaction score
Destroked's site doesn't show any motor mount for OBS Fords, might try calling them to make sure.

I know FordCunnins makes mounts, but some people say they are a flimsy, others say not to worry.

Auto World also makes mounts, but once again their site doesn't show mounts for OBS.

I've heard that they arnt the best for keeping the engine vibration down

Uncle_jesse

Reaction score
Sorry ive been abit busy lately crapy phone pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 76

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.