Injector Replacement

Sniper32

Reaction score
Ok yall most likely next month Im gonna have to replace an injector or two. To save the 300-400 in labor I was gonna do it myself. Do any of yall have a write up on removal and replacement? any other tips or tools needed would be appreciated! thanks yall

STROKER

Reaction score
its pretty straight forward, one thing ford says you need a special tool to get the injector conector through the rocker carrier yoou dont need one just use a 19mm 12 star soket and that will push it through no problem dont pull on the wires

Irontx

Reaction score
Don't use a short torx bit. It will bind on the injector body. Take your time and double check everything. While your in there, new stand pipes and dummy plugs might not be a bad idea if you haven't done them before. They don't cost that much.

STROKER

Reaction score
X2 for dummy plugs and stand pipes i had the o rings blow out on my dummy plugs makes for a real PITA!

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
To me the hardest part is getting the injector connectors out. It was a complete pain in th a$$. I used the socket trick and wiggled the connector with a pair of pliers. On the passenger side I would take out the inner fender to clear up some room. Also a flex-head torque wrench will be your friend.

Sniper32

Reaction score
Thanks yall...but excuse my retardedness, im a newb at engine internals so explain to me what the dummy plugs and stand pipes are please.

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
Assuming the engine you will be working on is an 04 you won't have a stand pipe or dummy plugs. 03-04 have the older log style oil rail. In that case you will need a tool to remove the oil rail due to the snap to connect fitting. Look at the photo below...

Attachments

• oil rail.jpg
    oil rail.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 85
  • oil rail tool.jpg
    oil rail tool.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 95

Sniper32

Reaction score
ok thanks, im gonna see if my buddy who usually does my work has it and will let me borrow it, instead of buying it at first. but question...from the pics posted the oil rail is connected by a braided line...couldnt i just swing it a little to get it out of my way, or is that line not flexible?

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
ok thanks, im gonna see if my buddy who usually does my work has it and will let me borrow it, instead of buying it at first. but question...from the pics posted the oil rail is connected by a braided line...couldnt i just swing it a little to get it out of my way, or is that line not flexible?

You could possibly do that but I just found it easier to remove it. Obviously you don't have too much room to work with as it is.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Make SURE you get the injectors torqued right. Bad things can happen if you dont. I believe Ford says 28 ft lbs, but elite says 36 ft lbs. I go with Elite personally lol

ducatirider944

Reaction score
So I used the search feature to find this thread. LOL

Anyway, I have another injector out on my truck, it's an 04' with 180k on it. I replaced 2 back when it had like 110k on it and my hpop went out. I replaced one about 160k. I'm wondering if I should just replace the other 5 or 7 since the 2 have 70k on them already? How long do these things last? Where is a good place to get them? I don't really need anything other than stock since it is my work truck and reliability is more important than a few extra hp. The truck does good with the loads it pulls now. How hard is it to change them without lifting the cab?

Thanks,
Brad

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
So I used the search feature to find this thread. LOL

Anyway, I have another injector out on my truck, it's an 04' with 180k on it. I replaced 2 back when it had like 110k on it and my hpop went out. I replaced one about 160k. I'm wondering if I should just replace the other 5 or 7 since the 2 have 70k on them already? How long do these things last? Where is a good place to get them? I don't really need anything other than stock since it is my work truck and reliability is more important than a few extra hp. The truck does good with the loads it pulls now. How hard is it to change them without lifting the cab?

Thanks,
Brad

Only replace the bad ones. No sense in wasting money on the other ones if they are good. I have changed all of mine without lifting the cab.

Strokethis34

Reaction score
I see that your in virginia, Im in charleston,WV. Shouldnt be too far away. If you need help, call me 304-550-4254. Or come here or i can come to you if its not a rediculous amount of time away. Give me a call, its fairly easy.

Latest posts

Members online