confused??? isnt a 2" drop shackle supposed to drop it 2"?

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
Well I installed my western suspension. Part no 2007 on my truck today. It says it drops the rear 2", well it looks like it only dropped it a 1" maybe a half? I used the top holes not the middle. Measured 8" before and around 7" after..... what's wrong here?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
that means the shackle measures 2 inches, but since your only lowering one end of the spring it only lowers the truck half of the length of the shackle

Dzchey21

Reaction score
yeah just 1 inch is all, thats probably about all the longer that shackle can be

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
I think I'm going to remove the load spring, the one on the bottom to get that extra inch. Anyone else have any suggestions?

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Dustin pretty much told you exactly why. To lower or lift the springs 1" it takes twice as much if you only do one side. If you lay a pole down on the concrete, and pick one end up a foot off of the ground, the middle will be 6" off.

All of the blocks are out? Can the hangers be flipped?

juniort444e

Reaction score
So would this be the same as a lift.

Say i wanted to lift the front via a newer shackle, and i bought one that advertised 2in lift. Would i only get 1in out of it.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
You have to read close but if it says 2 inch lift its prob a 4 inch longer shackle. If it says 2 inch shackle its prob only 1 inches of lift. Same concept tho

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Yes, but it's worse on the front because your trac bar will be unaligned and it just sucks all together. NEVER. do just a shackle or hanger. Both or nothing.

JDub

Reaction score
I think thats what Jdub over at WOP did on his single cab 7.3 he had

Yep, I installed the DJM 2" drop shackle and removed the lower load spring on my 2wd. Got about 2" drop out of it. I had the hanger drop to install as well, but never got around to it.

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
Yep, I installed the DJM 2" drop shackle and removed the lower load spring on my 2wd. Got about 2" drop out of it. I had the hanger drop to install as well, but never got around to it.

Alright I guess ill remove the load spring. Did it ride any better or worse after? Any tips for us guys doing this in the near future?