New to the audio stuff....

Strokin6.4

Reaction score
Can I use my factory 08' xlt head unit and run an after market amp and sub(s). Or do I need to buy an after market head unit as well?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

MossBack

Reaction score
This would work well.

Some amps feature a line in which you would splice the closest speaker wire for signal. For tuning, reliability buy a nice head unit and run it right. If you had factory navigation I could see it but for the factory ford in dash I would toss it in an instant.

Strokin6.4

Reaction score
Yeah but I'd love to put a 7" touch screen but I'd only do one that looked real nice and I'm not paying $800 for something I don't even need. Stock dash looks clean that's why I like it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

jdc753

Reaction score
As said above you can certainly accomplish your goal of adding a amp or two and a sub or more while keeping the factory heady unit. There are many ways to skin a cat...

Basically the simplest of ways is to make sure the amplifier you are using has "High Level" or "Speaker Level" inputs. This will require you splicing into the factory speaker wires to a particular speaker to tap into the audio signal and feed it to the amplifier through its supplied adapter harness.

The second cheapest method would be to purchase a Line-Out-Converter (LOC) which will splice into the speaker wire and convert it to an RCA output which you could wire to the amplifier (Low level input). These can range in price greatly, basically for a simple splice/converter box to a splice and boosted signal box.

The third option and most expensive would be getting an OEM integration box or processor such as a JL Audo Cleansweep or similar processor. These are basically complicated processors which allow you to keep the asthetics and interface of the OEM head unit but strip any audio processing and then control the audio signal giving you full control of the shape of the signal sent to the amp(s)

Members online

No members online now.