My Fuel Pump Screw Up......

Mr. Neutron

Reaction score
Major Stupid move today.....

I removed the positive wire from my Carter electric fuel pump today, to do a little weatherproofing to the wire & terminal. I figured since those terminals are exposed to the elements, I should put some heat shrink on the ring terminal, and I'd eventually like to put rubber terminal covers over the 2 post terminals.

While tightening my wire up again (after heat shrinking the ring terminal & wire), I overtorqued that little stud/post, and snapped off the stud for the fuel pumps' positive terminal. :cursing:

Crap..... :flush:

Am I going to have to buy another fuel pump? Anyone ever have one of these things apart, & know if that little post is fixable or not? I tried to call Carter (Federal Mogul) just a few minutes ago, but due to the time zone difference, was too late. Will try tomorrow to see if they can fix it, or if "Stupidity" is covered by warranty.... :rolleyes:

Also, as a side issue, does anyone know a source for these sort of rubber terminal covers? I can only find a supplier in Britain, so far...... It'd be nice to find one a little closer to Oregon than England..... Are these more of a marine application than an automotive app???
070801_1_med.jpg

Thanks,
Jimme

Last edited:

Mr. Neutron

Reaction score
I'm not sure.... That's a good idea, though.....

I've decided I'm just gonna buy another pump like it, to get the truck back on the road as soon as possible. After that, I'll contact Carter, and see if maybe they can fix it. Hopefully, I'll have a spare that I can shove behind the back seat..... Lol.... I've got quite a few parts back there already. Could almost make another truck with what I carry behind the seat......

Jimmie

Tom S

Reaction score
Well if you have a new one on the way to tear it apart without fear. I am betting you can fix it.

Mr. Neutron

Reaction score
I'd be that guy, Dave!!! Who else could screw up something so simple? LOL
How've you been? What motor are you using that's makin' all them horsepowers? I kinda wondered if "Old Man Dave" & his 400+ponies PSD is the one I know....

I've been doing some Old Guy motocross racing with my Old Guy friends I used to race with in the '70s & '80s. My nickname back then was "Mr. Neutron", as it is now at the tracks. So I ran with that one for a username this time.....

For a little "closure" to my "snapped-off-the-positive-terminal-like-a-Ham-Fisted-Bonehead" saga:

I've got another Carter P74221 pump in place now. I ordered both of these pumps from www.autopartstomorrow.com, for $106.92 (each). I've sent the one back that I torqued off the positive terminal/stud/post/thingie. They've told me that even though it's been over 30 days for this return (their policy wants it done before 30 days....), and even though I told them it was my fault, to send it back as "Defective". They've said they will refund me my money. About as good of an outcome as I can hope for, I reckon.

The truck runs as smooth as it ever has......

Jimmie

added in EDIT:

In case anyone might be interested, I found some vinyl "Terminal Insulators" from a company in Michigan, here:
http://www.vteworld.com/

I'm using the model #212, which looks like this:

test212.GIF

The only bummer of this deal is that I needed 4 of them. Two for the fuel pump, and 2 for the fuse for the fuel pump that's near the power source & relay, under the hood. They only cost .48 cents each, but they have a $15 minimum order.... Sigh.... It does me no good to ever try to save a nickel.....

Last edited:

Tom S

Reaction score
I bet you could have sold those easy to a few guys on here and just shipped in a padded envelope. BigFig, I have not heard that name in a long time. Welcome aboard. I hope some more of the old timer OBS guys make it here.

Tom

Arisley

Reaction score
I vaguely remember that name. I was going to say if they repaired it, instead of a spare, you would have hade the makings of a good double pump fuel system.

BTW, I would have bought a few of those covers from you. I am building a fuel system and could have used about 8 of them.

Mr. Neutron

Reaction score
Geez, I apologize, Fellas! :lookaround:

If I'd have known there were others needin' those things, I'd have ordered 50 of the things, and in different sizes..... Wish I'd known..... I actually wish I'd gotten about double what I ordered for my selfish self. My glow plug relay needs some, as does my riding lawnmower's starter relay..... Just wasn't thinkin', which is more or less normal for me..... :shocked:

Tom, you pretty much nailed it about the Big Fig thing. I was on the dieselstop.com when it was called "ford-diesel.com", which was last century, and with another truck....... That green crew cab got totalled, bought from the ins. co., & parted out amongst the guys on that forum, mostly. Some of the good parts went on my gay colored truck I have now....

It's just a shame "brains don't come with age" for me, as far as being around these trucks is concerned...... You'd think as long as I've been wrenching on these things that I'd know or remember something. :confused:
Have a Good Independence Day & weekend, Y'all!!!!

Jimmie

Last edited:

old man dave

Reaction score
The 5 speed was put to good use in an auto to 5 speed swap by my buddy and your engine is now resting in my garage as a WOP built engine that should make about 550hp (maybe I'll swap it in one of these days and find out for sure).LOL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online