suncoast trans filter

BFT

Reaction score
have any of you guys put one of these in? its an exterior mounted filter that runs from the cooler to the trans.

i originally got new lines from ford that eliminated the exterior filter. it would be nice to run this for the longevity of my truck. since the billet piece shows "trans cooler" and "transmission", i figured i could take that line out of the equasion and have the filter running in its place?
ive never done one (obviously) but i would think this is how it should be done? anyone else done it or know how to? it was a pain running those hard lines

edit: its an auxilary filter

Last edited:

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I am running that set up. Are you asking where the lines run from the housing? I could take a peak since it is still sitting in my shop.

BFT

Reaction score
that would be cool, erik!

i would think it goes from the trans cooler to the rear of the transmission?

Erikclaw

Reaction score
It looks like the "from cooler" ties into the hard line coming from the trans cooler. "To trans" goes into the line on the rear? The hard line going from the front of the trans is untouched. I know it sounds vague but I am going by the lengths of the lines since I am still tranny less.

BFT

Reaction score
this is what the lines look like if they were plummed without the auxilary filter, so everyone can better get what im saying
IMG_2355.jpg

Erikclaw

Reaction score
From that pic the rear line gets cut and tied into the housing "trans". The front line stays the same and the line coming from the cooler goes to "cooler" I didn't instal it myself. Since the lines coming from the housing are flexible, somehow they tie into the hard lines. I figure that is included in the kit.

Last edited:

BFT

Reaction score
yeah, thats what tadd told me to do...i figured i would take the line out and replace it with the hose, but now that i think of how much of a PITA it was to put those lines in. i think i will do what tadd insisted on:doh:

took a few pics as well, im thinking of doing a small write up if anyone plans on tackling their own trans too

thanks, erik

powr2stroke

Reaction score
How did Tadd recommend doing it Rob ? can you tie the rear line into the aux. adapter line directly without cutting it (will it connect ) and then back into the rear into of the tranny after the filter ?

Erikclaw

Reaction score
LOL it is clean in that pic. My filter housing was mounted under the passenger door and outside the frame rail. From there two flex lines run to the front along the frame then crosses over and connects to the line. Could take a pic if it helps any.

BFT

Reaction score
How did Tadd recommend doing it Rob ? can you tie the rear line into the aux. adapter line directly without cutting it (will it connect ) and then back into the rear into of the tranny after the filter ?

just like erik said.

the rear line that is in the tranny is what goes to the trans cooler. just cut out a section and punt the hoses that are givin from suncoust on the lines

jdgleason

Reaction score
lol it does look good clean man. Not to derail here, but with a built trans is there much advantage running an external filter?

BFT

Reaction score
LOL it is clean in that pic. My filter housing was mounted under the passenger door and outside the frame rail. From there two flex lines run to the front along the frame then crosses over and connects to the line. Could take a pic if it helps any.

that would be cool

i might be doing the same thing as well. or maybe making up a bracket or something

Erikclaw

Reaction score
lol it does look good clean man. Not to derail here, but with a built trans is there much advantage running an external filter?

Figured the more filtration the better. Especially since these things are all controlled by solenoids and any foreign matter makes them cranky.

BFT

Reaction score
:whs:

it wouldnt hurt it, its filtering what goes from the cooler to the trans vs how ford had it when it filtered through cooler and the radiator

Latest posts

Members online