Reese sidewinder, anyone use one?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
turns out my camper will hit the cab if i turn the truck sharp enough with the shortbed, been looking at options and im not sure whats the way to go, I have a factory reese hitch in the bed of my new truck, they make a slider but im not sure how i feel about them.

I was looking at the reese sidewinder
here is a refresher for people who dont know what it is

http://www.reeseprod.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=2&parentid=7300&catID=7360 &part=0

Anything else out there that might work? Ive thought about a slightly longer pin box, im lacking very little clearance to make a full 90 degree turn, im betting im around the 75-80 degree range before i need to worry, but thats on flat ground as well.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
I got two guys that have the sidewinder. One loves it, one hates it... I dont know anything about them, other than what I researched before I bought my rig. (I bought the Superglide). Something about not being able to grease it without taking it apart...

http://www.reese-hitches.com/products/16K_SuperGlide_5th_Wheel_Hitch,PR-4100

Works great. But it keeps you from running your factory rig at all....

Dzchey21

Reaction score
hmmm... interesting, its not totally important as i can turn it pretty damn sharp, but i really dont wanna even have to worry about it at all if i can help it

Denver

Reaction score
If you still have a warranty on the trailer I would check to make sure the side winder doesn't void it. Extended pin boxes don't have nearly the effect that a slider hitch would provide. The pivot point needs to be moved back to clear the cab. The sliders can be a pain if not greased and getting in and out of the truck gets old to. I grease my slider often and use a hand held torch to melt the grease into tight places. Like the rollers.

Last edited:

Dzchey21

Reaction score
no trailer warranty.

I thought about an extended pin box because i think if i had a few more inches it would clear the cab completely.... not sure what to do, i think also the extended pin box might cause issues with the bed sides as it seams pretty dang close as is... EFFFF

Denver

Reaction score
I would get a slider before an extended pinbox. I also think the extended pin boxes put more leverage (stress) on the neck of the trailer.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
im sure they do, my camper is pretty light, i think its like 6500 dry advertised, i was going to weigh it.

I think the slider is the way to go as well.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
If you still have a warranty on the trailer I would check to make sure the side winder doesn't void it. Extended pin boxes don't have nearly the effect that a slider hitch would provide. The pivot point needs to be moved back to clear the cab. The sliders can be a pain if not greased and getting in and out of the truck gets old to. I grease my slider often and use a hand held torch to melt the grease into tight places. Like the rollers.

Agreed on getting out of the truck being a PITA... Another reason I liked mine. Just hitch it, and never worry about it. Only thing.... Can't go past 98 degrees... But never had a clearance issue. I still have it on my garage floor... I'll be heading up through your area in march.... if you are interested, and can wait a few months...

amarillo250

Reaction score
go with the slider and dont worry anymore. Do a little research on the sliders and you find one model that relaese automatic, I might be wrong dont nail me on it. For the drive and stress with the extended pinbox it changes a lot. I got myself a Titanium and can drive and turn like it is not even there. The sliders are real good these days and give you the peace of mind you need.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
If you get an extended pin box watch the pin box to the bed when you turn over off camber stuff. My stock pin box tapped the rails of my old Pace Edwards sliding bed cover a few times.
My brother had a Superglide in his old shortbed worked great.
Few things though, they are HEAVY, you cant use a lube plate, depending how the catch plate is mounted to the trailer (Bolted or Welded) you are the only one that cant move your trailer.
They are nice but I would get a normal slider, if I had too. Depending on your trailer you have to be at pretty extreme angles to hit.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
If you get an extended pin box watch the pin box to the bed when you turn over off camber stuff. My stock pin box tapped the rails of my old Pace Edwards sliding bed cover a few times.
My brother had a Superglide in his old shortbed worked great.
Few things though, they are HEAVY, you cant use a lube plate, depending how the catch plate is mounted to the trailer (Bolted or Welded) you are the only one that cant move your trailer.
They are nice but I would get a normal slider, if I had too. Depending on your trailer you have to be at pretty extreme angles to hit.

The Superglide is only a few pounds heavier that a normal, same weight rated 5th wheel. And the catch plate for most trailers is held in place by one 5/8 inch bolt, seconds to remove, and anyone can pull your rig with a normal 5th hitch. No grease plate needed, as the hitch it held in place, no rotating on the 5th plate. the only thing that needs lube is the rails. Ill take some pics in a few days when I get home. And a vid, so you can see it working. No need to get out of your rig, just drive normal, this thing does everything, automatically.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Not what I remember Corb.
That hitch seemed twice as heavy has mine. I can straining some get mine out. My brothers I could not lift. That one 5/8" bolt his did not have it had 4 smaller torx or allen heads holding it on. Maybe they have change in the last couple of years.
You are right on the auto slide. The problem was when I got asked to move the trailer, had to make another trip to take the plate off.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Not what I remember Corb.
That hitch seemed twice as heavy has mine. I can straining some get mine out. My brothers I could not lift. That one 5/8" bolt his did not have it had 4 smaller torx or allen heads holding it on. Maybe they have change in the last couple of years.
You are right on the auto slide. The problem was when I got asked to move the trailer, had to make another trip to take the plate off.

Yeah, I have a super 5th, 20.5 K, fixed hitch in the 450 now, but I still have my 16 K in the garage from the 250, and there is not much difference, maybe 20-30 pounds. And my capture plate only has one bolt in the front. I did understand that they changed several things in the last few years, but I have had mine since 2010, and WD-40 on the tubes is all I have had to do for maintenance. I do use a bed cover though, so when not in use, it stays out of the weather.

It is awkward though... Removing it would be much easier if it could lock into place... But when removing it, the hitch still pivots, which makes it slide... LOL I use an engine hoist to remove it nowadays... so I dont really worry about it.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
That might be why. I have a Curt 20K in mine. Its heavy but not as bad as the Superglide.
What holds the plate on the back from turning?

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
That might be why. I have a Curt 20K in mine. Its heavy but not as bad as the Superglide.
What holds the plate on the back from turning?

I can't explain it very well. When I get home, I will pull it out of the garage, and shoot a video of it working. And how if someone were able, to weld a loop on there so as to lock it in place when removing... I should be home saturday.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Corb I know how they work I am talking about the plate mounted to the trailer. If it has only one 5/8" bolt holding it on how does it not rotate on the trailer when you turn.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Corb I know how they work I am talking about the plate mounted to the trailer. If it has only one 5/8" bolt holding it on how does it not rotate on the trailer when you turn.

It has shims to adjust its size to match up with the trailer hitch. And the bolt actually fits over the top of the lip, just to keep it from falling off.

Latest posts

Members online