My Puller Build

PSDEng

Reaction score
My original plan was to do all of this over the winter, but with me moving that probably won't happen. The new plan is to start slowly gaterhing parts and when the time comes I'll get it all together. This is more for my documentation purposes, but I figured some would be interested in seeing where I'm going with the truck. Feel free to post any comments or suggestions (obviously :doh:). All plans are subject to change :pimp: :ford:

Motor:- Block will be filled so coolant will still be allowed to flow freely (2" below deck height). I will be going with a full bed-plate from Carson as well in order so offset any main cap walk. As far as main studs go, I'll probably go with ARPs since I'm not sure H-11 makes mains....does anybody know?

Rods- Carson's billet rods will be used and have already been ordered. :thumbup:

Pistons- I'll be going with JE pistons on this one and they'll probably be the next thing that gets purchased. I need to figure out the particulars on what I'll be doing for bowl configuration.

Cam- Matt's stage 2 cam is going to be used with the gear securely tack welded in place (been through that ordeal once already :eek:). I've thought about his sled pull cam, but I'm not sure if I'll need the extra exhaust valve lift. I'm going to need to discuss this with my builder and Matt a little bit more though when the time draws near.

Valve Train- Pushrods, lifters and valve springs will be from Carson. I still need to figure out what I want to do for rocker arms, I've considered some billet roller rockers...maybe. Some input on this would be nice. Not sure what valves I'll be using yet either.

Heads- Fully polished and ported, there's no other way to go! Carson has started cutting his own fire rings, so I'll be having him do those for me as well. H-11 headstuds from the current motor will be re-used....I think.

Injectors- As of now, I'll be using 450/400s from Unlimited. I currently have Full Force injectors, but I want to try something different. HOWEVER, I've been waiting quite some time now for a certain set of very large injectors to become available. I've talked to Nate at Unlimited about these and he said they're still in the R&D phase, and I have talked with the fellow who came up with these, but that was quite some time ago. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for these to come out soon.

Turbo- Unfortunately the particulars of the turbo can't be discussed, as the set-up I'll be using is based off of another persons truck and he has requested I keep the specifics to myself. It will be an s475 based turbo with a billet wheel. I'll be keeping the 2.6 cover I had made as well.

Fuel Delivery- I've considered doing a gear driven fuel system, similar to the one HotRodTractor had on his own puller, but I haven't pursued getting the particulars of the set-up. As of now I'll be adding a 5 gallon fuel cell with an electronic pump set-up.

Oil- I may set-up the pan for a dry sump, but maybe not. I'm still looking for a pan warmer that I want that can get my oil up to ~120 degrees. As far as the HPOP goes I've considered two options, either a Stealth stage 2 or a Gen3. I'm going to have to think about this one a bit more as well. I'm still deciding which brand of oil to use as well. I'm going to need something that doesn't mix with water.

Transmission- My BTS will be sent back to Brian for him to do the work he feels necessary to hold up. I have a floor shifter waiting to be installed when it comes back. I may have him increase the stall speed on the convertor, as I've recently been plauged with pushing through my brakes wayyy too early at the line while trying to spool my turbo. I may also add a line-lock to see if that helps any.

Axles- As of right now I'll be keeping the Dana 60 up front and the Dodge Dana 80 with the duals in the rear. I've considered going to 4.56s but I don't think I will, I've seen way too many guys come back to 4.10s from 4.56s. I'm going to need to get a hold of Troika to see if he can make me some better axles, I think I've seen about two dozen Dana 80s axles break since September :eek:. However, if these injectors come through, this truck might be a perfect candidate for and open driveline truck :D

Cooling- It looks like a Frozen Boost air-to-water intercooler will be my poison on this one. Their Type 54 cooler looks legit. I'm thinking I'll run a 3700gph Bilge pump to supply the water. I can't decide where to put the ice box though. Putting it in the weight box is obviously the most efficient thing to do, but I'm concerned with the weight of my truck. I'm actually going to have a hard time MAKING my truck weigh 8000lbs, so I may need all the space I can get in that weight box for weights.

Tuning- Since I'll be in Texas, I can't think of anybody more qualified to tune this truck than Matt from Gearhead. I'm sure I'll be spending lots of time just getting the truck dialed in in that regard LOL

That's all I can think about for now. There are still going to be a lot of odds and ends to tie up in the truck once it's all together, but this is where I'm starting.

This is going to be a slow process (not that I want it that way) but my ultimate goal is to build a competitive truck while still representing the old 7.3l powerstroke :ford:

02BigD

Reaction score
Cool list of goodies, look forward to seeing it all come together for you. Nice to see Carson has gotten his rod machining resolved.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
You mean this one?

2805856970088936788Aioava_fs.jpg

You could just buy that one off of me - I'm going a different direction that won't allow me to use it any longer.

PSDEng

Reaction score
Cool list of goodies, look forward to seeing it all come together for you. Nice to see Carson has gotten his rod machining resolved.

Thank you sir, I'm excited to get it all together as well. I've been wanting to do this for a couple years now, and now that I have secured a full-time job, it's finally possible.

As far as the rod machining goes, I don't think Carson is completely happy with the turn around time on the rods....the last set took 9 weeks to get in :eek:

Jason, I'll send you a PM about the fuel system.

PSDEng

Reaction score
A few items I forgot to add:

PCM: I have been considering converting the truck to a superduty PCM for the tuning capabilities.

Exhaust: I plan on running a set of headers if I can find them. I know they have their issues as far as cracking is concerned, but I feel that they'll be worth it. And a hood stack is a must :naughty:

Lamont_24

Reaction score
This is awesome your trying to make power with a 7.3. My buddy was gonna do a setup for a around 600 horse or at least parts for 600 on his 7.3 and then he was looking at prices and is now building a 500 horse cummins for his other ford instead. So me still trying to build my 7.3 little by little it's good to see people are still building big power with them

PSDEng

Reaction score
It's something I've been wanting to do for a long time, and I feel it's still worth it. Perhaps in the future I'll go mechanical with the truck, but for now I'm not done messing with the heui system. (If your buddy decides he still wants a 7.3 tell him I have some injectors that will support that power for sale :D)

Lamont_24

Reaction score
It's something I've been wanting to do for a long time, and I feel it's still worth it. Perhaps in the future I'll go mechanical with the truck, but for now I'm not done messing with the heui system. (If your buddy decides he still wants a 7.3 tell him I have some injectors that will support that power for sale :D)

Haha he's already knee deep in parts for the cummins! But good luck with the build and keep us updated! 👍

Latest posts

Members online