Rear Differential Pinion Seal

Bushwakd

Reaction score
How difficult is replacing the pinion seal? Is this a DIY or should I take it to the shop?
What tools will I need if I decide to tackle it myself? Does anybody have a step by step instruction on replacing the pinion seal and any torque specs?
I was planning on changing my rear differential gear lube and differential cover because my stock cover is rusted. The pinion seal has been leaking and I wanted to address the issue when doing the cover and lube.

cj45lc

Reaction score
Check the vent tube on the diff, if it's plugged up you may not have to r&r the seal.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
If you do want to replace the seal you have to very particular with how tight to set the preload on the pinion bearings. You need to find out the rotational torque of the pinion before you remove the nut. Fords preload parameter is measured without the carrier in.

I'd also suggest a new crush sleeve as well.

sgleshot

Reaction score
If you do want to replace the seal you have to very particular with how tight to set the preload on the pinion bearings. You need to find out the rotational torque of the pinion before you remove the nut. Fords preload parameter is measured without the carrier in.

I'd also suggest a new crush sleeve as well.

I agree, its not as much fun as you would think if ya put too much preload on the pinion bearings and burn then up. trust me. Also take a look at the pinion yoke/flange when you remove it, if its had a bunch of crud in there over the years you may have a trench worn into it and that could be where the gear oil is seeping from, simple solution, just need to sleeve n seal it. Just something to check.