Common oil leak locations

JMart

Reaction score
So I am about to track down an oil leak on my 7.3 I am sure its on top and leaking down into the valley. I know its leaking down the backside of the motor. What are some of the common locations for leaks I can start looking at? I dont know much about the 7.3 so any pics would be helpful. I need to get this fixed since its starting to blow up the back side of the tailgate and spotting on the bed. It looks really bad.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
most comon i have see is the turbo seals, and the turbo pedistal seals, also alot of "oil leaks" turn out to be fuel leaks the run thru and down the back of the motor collecting any dirt and oil thats in the valley making it apear that its oil, Check obvious stuff for fuel leaks, filter housing, filter lid ect.

On the turbo leaks the turbo has to be removed to replace the o-rings

Tom S

Reaction score
Also semi common are the O-rings on the HPOP hoses and plugs. They are easy to fix but are not the same as a common O-ring as they are harder. You can get them at Ford IH or a Hydraulic shop. I can track down parts numbers if needed.

Arisley

Reaction score
The EBPV like to leak a lot also. Hard one to diagnose, it makes a huge mess of the whole pedistal. Simple green is your freind here.

Tom S

Reaction score
I have great luck with Oil Eater for cleaning up oily messes.

Big Bore

Reaction score
HPOP front gasket, IPR, HPO reservoir, the HPOP "non serviceable plug" and what everyone else said. I've found leak locations by cleaning the valley as clean as possible, then stuffing white paper towels around then run it to see where it's coming from. Don't wait for them to get saturated or you wont be able to pinpoint the leak. Mirror on handle and a flashlite helps too. Those came from Joey at Terminator.

BTW like the stealth look of your truck.

Tom S

Reaction score
If you jack with that cover make darn sure the Snap Ring gets fully in the grove upon reassembly. It takes pressure on the cover when you put the ring in. I have used a drill press for it.

JMart

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. I am off 3 days next week so I plan to clean it up and try to locate the problem then. I am leaning towards the hpop being the culprit since it looks like the valley has oil in it all the way forward.

The leak started shortly after I started running a chip. Is it possible the increased pressures caused this?

young7.3

Reaction score
If i remove that cover on the back of the oil pump will a chit ton of oil start coming out?
How do i get a new o-ring for the pump?

Tom S

Reaction score
I serious suggest you do not jack with that O-ring without pulling the pump off. If that snap ring pops you pump spits the guts out.

Dslfumes

Reaction score
Mine was leaking from the same place. I didn't feel like finding where or what on the HPOP was leaking so I replaced it with an Adrenaline pump. My rule generally is if I remove a part it will get replaced with something better. No more leaks and no more codes under WOT.

Latest posts

Members online