Limits of stock 6.7 VGT Turbo

6.7Stroker

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 2012 F-350 6.7 Powerstroke... I currently have the truck set up with H&S Black Maxx, Flo-Pro 5" straight pipe, and H&S EGR block off plates for the time being. I have 25k on the clock now, been tuned since 20k. Truck runs like a champ and shifts awesome with the H&S Trans tuning. No complaints here.

Have a couple questions... I did the deletes to make my truck last much longer - pretty much wanted to keep soot out of my intake, and fuel out of my oil. Those are no no's for me, as well as most of us Strokers out there.

I do realize the 2012's have a "hyper-balanced" turbo... and that when stock they seem to be a little better than the 2011 turbos, or not any better at all. When my truck was stock I would see 20-21 psi max, never a pound more. I never take my truck off of the "NO POWER" tune on my Black Maxx... Mostly because I am scared it's going to hurt the truck and I want it to last, but secondly, because of this turbo.

My questions are... Why am I seeing spikes and high load low RPM of 30-31 lbs of boost with the no power tune on when not even towing, and holding 25 lbs under full throttle?

Is 25-30 psi too much boost for this turbo to handle? That's what it's showing on my "no power" tune... Why am I seeing more boost than stock with a no power tune on?

Thanks!

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
It is the way the tune is made. "No power" shares many of the same settings as hot or wild. That is a trade off for the ease of on the fly tuning. So your turbos settings are raised for those other tunes, that is why you see higher boost than stock. If you really want to be stock with just the dpf delete you need to get mcc tuning. I can help you do this if you want a totally stock no dpf tune.

6.7Stroker

Reaction score
I would def be interested in that! I am looking for stock performance but just deleted... I want to be able to just rip on the truck all day and not let the turbo produce more boost than it was designed to produce. I will buy the MCC unlock for my truck. Do you know the stock calibration #'s or something or do you just set max boost to 20-21 psi?

I even tried to set my defuel level to 20 psi, and it doesn't matter, just keeps boosting.

With even the no power tune on, I assume that with the dinky stock rods, they'll still hold up at that power level?

Thanks!

Idiesel

Reaction score
I would def be interested in that! I am looking for stock performance but just deleted... I want to be able to just rip on the truck all day and not let the turbo produce more boost than it was designed to produce. I will buy the MCC unlock for my truck. Do you know the stock calibration #'s or something or do you just set max boost to 20-21 psi?

I even tried to set my defuel level to 20 psi, and it doesn't matter, just keeps boosting.

With even the no power tune on, I assume that with the dinky stock rods, they'll still hold up at that power level?

Thanks!

I'm definitely interested as well!

Sent from my iPhone

Spderjhn

Reaction score
I drive the war hammer and the hs tuning depends on the week but I am back on war hammer for now and I see 37 to 40 all the time when hammering on it for the last 10000 miles and mine is holding together fine so I wouldn't worry bout 30

KEM Performance

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 2012 F-350 6.7 Powerstroke... I currently have the truck set up with H&S Black Maxx, Flo-Pro 5" straight pipe, and H&S EGR block off plates for the time being. I have 25k on the clock now, been tuned since 20k. Truck runs like a champ and shifts awesome with the H&S Trans tuning. No complaints here.

Have a couple questions... I did the deletes to make my truck last much longer - pretty much wanted to keep soot out of my intake, and fuel out of my oil. Those are no no's for me, as well as most of us Strokers out there.

I do realize the 2012's have a "hyper-balanced" turbo... and that when stock they seem to be a little better than the 2011 turbos, or not any better at all. When my truck was stock I would see 20-21 psi max, never a pound more. I never take my truck off of the "NO POWER" tune on my Black Maxx... Mostly because I am scared it's going to hurt the truck and I want it to last, but secondly, because of this turbo.

My questions are... Why am I seeing spikes and high load low RPM of 30-31 lbs of boost with the no power tune on when not even towing, and holding 25 lbs under full throttle?

Is 25-30 psi too much boost for this turbo to handle? That's what it's showing on my "no power" tune... Why am I seeing more boost than stock with a no power tune on?

Thanks!

Long term usage over 30 PSI will, according to those I have spoke with at Ford, cause damage. Spikes up to 35 occasionally will be fine.

Mike

Strokin&Smokin

Reaction score
Long term usage over 30 PSI will, according to those I have spoke with at Ford, cause damage. Spikes up to 35 occasionally will be fine.

Mike

So from what you hear do you agree that a tuned and deleted 6.7 that is only driven on Saturday and Sunday be ok for the longevity of the stock turbo?

Sent while dismantling your neighbors meth lab.

Strokin&Smokin

Reaction score
My trucks have been tuned and beat on since day one with absolutely no issues.

These trucks are so random though. I've seen and heard of guys having them tuned for 80k plus miles and keep the peddle to the floor as soon as their a$$ hits the seat with zero issues then I hear guys windowing the block or destroying the turbo after 2 or 3k miles.

Sent while dismantling your neighbors meth lab.

Latest posts

Members online