lets talk transmissions

blackbetty13

Reaction score
Based on my other thread most of you guys know im doing a 500+hp build. I may turn it up down the road, i may not, i want to spray it. But the only way all of this is possible is with a built transmission behind it. Now everyone heres going to say bts( yes i want one). However what about John Wood, Racer x, what sets bts apart. I want a tranny that I will never have to worry about breaking down on me when im 400 miles away at my ranch, or coming home from the drag strip after running all out. But theres got to be a cheaper way, i dont think i can afford a bts right now. Can some of you sponsors put in your 2 cents thanks a bunch guys.

cw96stroker

Reaction score
If you want one that you don't ever have to worry about breaking down on you get one from John Woods or bts. Yes they cost some money, but remember cheap is never cheap.

Tom S

Reaction score
If you cannot afford a good transmission now to go behind your build simply keep the power down through tuning until you can afford one. I really do not believe there is the cheap 500hp transmission.

Whytry

Reaction score
Just save for the best. There is no point to go throw say 2500 for a "mild" built trans, then when that breaks go spend another 4500 or whatever on a bts or whoever you go with transmission. Why do it twice? save now and just get the best and not have to worry. that is my 02

StrokerTurbo7.3

Reaction score
Maybe you should get your priorities straight. You can afford to make 500hp but not back it up with a good transmission? I can't help but laugh at the people that spend all the time and money into their trucks then say i cant afford this or that. What would you do if worst possible thing happens and you throw a rod? If you were keeping it close to stock then i would just get a local guy to do it. The power you want i wouldnt cheap out on that. Just my opinion.

jkidd_39

Reaction score
If you have to build it twice then you coulda had Brian build it once and then some.. My dad has toasted his tranny twice and refused to listen to me.. he has $7000 in OEM ford transmissions..

Just tune it back and save your pennies..

In regards to BTS vs. other builders it's a cummins vs. PSD or v-twin vs. inline argument.. two different companies building two transmissions in different ways to get the same results.

From my very limited knowledge John Woods uses some billet pieces on the intermediate planetary gear.. BTS prefers cryo... I don't know what any of this means.. just been told as such. I am 170 miles from BTS.. he will build my trucks slushboxes when that fateful day comes..

jkidd_39

Reaction score
Another option is to find a guy going back to stock. I know strokerace was trying to unload his BTS 4r for like 3k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while pulling a 36ft gooseneck and not paying attention to the road.

purpleheart350

Reaction score
What is yall take on reabuild kit from Racer-x or sun coast with valve body and TC from BTS. My Goal for my truck is NO MORE than 500hp I am looking at about 450-475 hp

Last edited:

Whytry

Reaction score
purpleheart350 Make sure you do it right the first time because if you don't its your fault and you will be buying the parts again that have been messed up. I would do triple disc and billet shafts also.

Yodersstrokin96

Reaction score
just input i have racer X TC and she is holding good for about year and a half of pullin trailer and foot to the floor alot of times haha but i am now where near your goal HP just think they have a good TQ

purpleheart350

Reaction score
Well I would have help so there will 3 different sets of eyes looking at it, one who has rebuilt trannys before, my brother the mechanic, and me. I am on the Tigh Azz Budget and if I can save some change doing it my self then I will. But what are yalls take on Racer-x or sun coast. The TC, Valve Body will be from BTS while the clutch pack, plate and springs, and shaft would be from one of the other 2 companys

ytee

Reaction score
You simply cannot beat a BTS!!!! Brian has the best customer service of anybody I have ever done business with. Brian has some new parts he is putting in his trannys now that are super strong. I had a tranny that Brian built 7 years ago that finally let go, spun the splines out of the front drum. When he rebuilt it this time he showed me how much the parts have changed in 7 years. And, as usual he dared me to go break it.

Chris

smokedout250

Reaction score
Op what's the point in having 500hp if you can't use it... same goes for a clutch if you can't put the power to the ground then what's the point? I put a clutch in a semi and cut coners to save some money wound up a week later redoing the clutche and spending over double to make it right... I would just do it once man tune it down for now and save the cash to get the best.... but that's just my .02

TURTLE

Reaction score
You simply cannot beat a BTS!!!! Brian has the best customer service of anybody I have ever done business with. Brian has some new parts he is putting in his trannys now that are super strong. I had a tranny that Brian built 7 years ago that finally let go, spun the splines out of the front drum. When he rebuilt it this time he showed me how much the parts have changed in 7 years. And, as usual he dared me to go break it.

Chris

That is the biggest reason I would do BTS hands down... The man is a saint and so is the lady answering the phone.

blackbetty13

Reaction score
Yah I guess better do it right the first time i asked my dad for a loan, since I litterally just drained my account for my build. Got a nice firm no. I no bts is usually a month back ordered but do I have to pay when it's ordered or pay when it's about to be shipped. Reason I'm asking is because i can get 4,000 in a month, with my new job

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
IMO..BTS period we are a dealer and ship all over the country..that said if your looking at a DYI..ONLY one place that I would ever get parts from as they are experts unlike some who sell parts..John Wood..talk to him about a kit.

If you want the best droped shiped priced and you do not have to pay when you order..PM me for details

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.