waste gate 38r question

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
why is it that we hear about non waste gated 38r's needing to be externally gated to make good power when the stock housing is gated? how come we cant utilize the stock waste gate configuration? what are the flaws?

Big Bore

Reaction score
why is it that we hear about non waste gated 38r's needing to be externally gated to make good power when the stock housing is gated? how come we cant utilize the stock waste gate configuration? what are the flaws?

Internal gate is too small for those applications, particularly in compounds, and it's on the 1.0 housing, which is too small for those applications also.

Tom S

Reaction score
I do not think you need a wastegate if the injectors are small enough.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
yes i understand that and has been proven... whats the point of it being on a stock truck? and if its too small to use on the 38r why do they even put it on there? or is there a fine line that it could be utilized?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
No one is putting a wastegate on a 1.00 housing without it being twined or extreamly large injectors... also keep in mind the factory gate only dumps one side of the scroll.

Big Bore

Reaction score
I think the factory wastegate is there for the same reason the fuel we have in our chips isn't. Factory is setup so that you don't have to worry about egt's. Having a wastegate that opens before high boost levels that start making heat helps avoid that, and therefore the motor will last longer. In theory.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
What the hell are you asking?

You have a 38R which has a factory wastegate. It works.

Beyond that, I cant make heads or tails out of what your asking.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
its cranked tight rite now but i was just wondering if it would benefit me to loosen it up with what i have now. or if i go bigger with injectors if i can use it to a certain point? or just get rid of it and get a bigger housing and externally gate it? also you said it dumps one side of the scroll, what do you mean by that?

Last edited:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
its cranked tight rite now but i was just wondering if it would benefit me to loosen it up with what i have now. or if i go bigger with injectors if i can use it to a certain point? or just get rid of it and get a bigger housing and externally gate it? also you said it dumps one side of the scroll, what do you mean by that?

Do you know what your drive pressures are? Thats what a wastegate does, dumps excessive drive pressures... Without knowing that, you have no idea if you need a wastegate or not.

I prefer the larger housing on the 38R, It spools better, runs cooler at lower boost levels. Less drive pressure and more HP. No down side to a 1.15 housing.

Your turbo has a divided scroll, meaning the drivers side and passengers side exhaust gases do not mix until they are hitting the exhaust wheel.

This is an H2e, but the factory housing looks the same.

2465459810100112691S600x600Q85.jpg

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
so if it only dumps one side then will the other side still have the excessive bp? or because the one side is dumping sooner it will ease the pressure off the wheel?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
One side eases the back pressure. Its not perfect, but it works for stockish applications.