powdercoating bumper?

6L strokin

Reaction score
well the paint on my front end is still holding up decent, better on the grill than the bumper..... i think its mainly because i travel so much down the interstate is why its chipping some.... got 40K on the clock and only had it 7 months.... so im thinking about taking the front bumper off and having it powdercoated. local place quoted it very cheap to do and im waiting to see if they have a way to use some metallic or something but if not, think just gloss black pc would look ok?

Spatel23

Reaction score
Another option to prevent those little inevitable chips would be to repaint it with the factory color and have a clear bra put on. It is applied just like window tint and when done properly you cant even tell its there.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Didn't know they were metalic. Probably right on that one to get the match perfect. Clear bra is a great alternative

6L strokin

Reaction score
ya see thats why i was wondering about getting it coated because of the metallic...

so heres what im thinking now.... going to get it powdercoated......then getting it painted over with some tuxedo black... think it will hold up better and if the paint gets chipped it should just go to the gloss black pc instead of chrome..... input?!

btw the pc is gonna be pretty cheap and just wanting it to hold up a little better. also any links to this 3M stuff?

Countryboy07

Reaction score
40,000 already Darin! Dang man... lol

IMO, I'd do like others are suggesting and get the 3M clear bra put on over the bumper and other front pieces. It's probably not going to be cheap, but it will hold up and look alot better in the long run.

-French

6L strokin

Reaction score
thats what mine was... and thats another reason its going to hold up better.... they sandblast the chrome off before you powdercoat... so it has a better surface to adhere to and its a lot thicker than paint!

AKHILF

Reaction score
When i had my truck two toned i used tuxedo black and my local powdercoater matched it almost perfect... So close I cant tell and iv been around body work for 6 years

stang13

Reaction score
My Fab Fours bumpers came powdercoated and in two months they were starting to rust at the welds . I ended up having them coated inside and out with Line X I think they look great and seem really durable

HoustonRider

Reaction score
that won't work.... best bet is to get a ranch hand bumper and prime and paint, or blast the chrome off of yours and start with something that will bite and shoot it. But, unless you protect it with the clear-bra (or something like that) its going to be subject to chips, just like a factory painted front end or factory Ranch hand painted bumper would.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.