Pushing big turbos

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
My truck has been running great and flawless. All of the bugs have been worked out for over 20,000. Im very satisfied with the tuning I have made and I want to push it a little more. However I believe there is more left in my big charger. Having 4:30 gears presents a problem with loading the turbo. I have made many adjustments to the backpressure, vane control and in the smoke control tables as well as the transmission. I guess my question is how much can we push the backpressure to gate it into the lp turbo? Also how much is to much?

This truck has Tow-X turbos gated between the stages. 8 hole injectors but stock flow. Its making up to 41psi and I know others are pushing 50 plus with high powers.

Rivets are the new duct tape.

B585Ford

Reaction score
I assume the 8-holes are Elite. So you are running stock lift pump, have the fuel bowl, and stock HPFP? What size are the injectors? Do maintain RP with them?

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
Elite. Stock flow. It may make no difference but I thought I would add it. It also has a elite manifold.

Last edited:

Dzchey21

Reaction score
have you verified that your rail pressure is 24k?

What pulse width are you running?

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
I really dont think this is a mechanical problem. I think its in the tuning and setting the gate to match it.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
just trying to make sure we have covered all bases before we start changing a bunch of stuff.

Where is your gate? Between stages?

What i would try is closing the vane minimum to 10%, see what your back pressure and boost do, you might need to play with the gate.

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
Correct. Between the stages. Explain where I change the minimums. I have raised the maximums tonight but haven't tested it.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
under "turbo"
"values"

"minimum duty cycle limit for vgt"

Change that from 2% to 10%

Be carefull when making these changes that you dont let your back pressure climb too fast. Gate changes might need to be made, and 5% is a decent jump

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
Thanks. I will test it tomorrow with 5% and go from there. I need your kit on the big Turbo to see what its doing. Any chance for the H&S?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
No I can't add it to h&s

Just get a mechanical gauge for testing once it's set don't worry

Members online

No members online now.